USB Problems in Win2K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB Problems in Win2K

There seems to be a problem with USB on my dads machine, everytime we try to scan something, the scaner hangs after ~30/40%, doesnt have problems with the preview though. installed the usb drivers that came with the mobo.

specs are as follows

amd 1.2, 266fsb
    abit kt7a-raid mobo
    512 Ram
    win2k sp-2 (didnt work with sp-1 either)
    epson perfection 1240U scanner (installed latest drivers and utilities)

after the scanner hangs, it has to be restarted, the scanning software has to be exited over the task manager, it doesnt react anymore.
    anyone know where the problem might be?

Try the usb patch if you already haven't.
    This a common bug of the via chipset and seems to be worse in abit boards. If you go to viahardware.com and look for goerges patches you may find one that may cure the problem.
    Also try another Bios version from the abit site. The ww version is supposed to be most stable. The latest version is supposed to fix the soundblaster live version although it seems hit and miss.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Yes, welcome to the usb scanner hanging plague, courtesy of Abit.

I had to return my Abit KT7-raid because my usb scanner didn´t work on it. The scanner hanged on the beggining or in the middle of a scan.

I couldn´t get it to work. It did it on win2k and on winME. I tried several scanner drivers, several Via 4-1, Usb filter, OS reinstalls, Bios tweaking, Bios flashing...

I got a Asus A7V and the scanner worked as a charm. Same chipset, different motherboard.

Comment

Ditto.

Abit BE6II, Umax Astra 2200 USB

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn`t. Reinstalled VistaScan several times, no good. I gave up, next morning i turn the PC on, and everything works ... no explanation ... and sometimes the Floppy doesn`t read any disks, so i shutdown (not restart), power on and everything works again ... VERY strange.

------------------
        Seth, are you ok ?
        I`m peachy, Kate. The world is my oyster.
        Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Thanks for the tips, pit, but they didnt work.
          thanks for the cheerful news nuno

guess ill write an email to the abit support crew and ask them if they are working on the problem

Comment

Don't hold your breath.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Go into device manager and select your usb ports, under properties/advanced check "disable usb error detection" for all of the root ports.

Rags

Comment

hey, where is your optimism???

Comment

The Abit board has 2 root hubs...my scanner (HP) didn't work until I moved it to the unused hub (using the included cable/adapter and a unused rear slot). Now, it works about half the time, probably the best I can expect. Best friend has same board and got tired of the bullshit, installed a Lucent USB card. His works 100% of the time. **sigh**, must be nice...

Comment

Rags, it didnt work.

Comment

I've never had a problem with my Abit BE6-II board here. I've used a crap USB modem and that works. My Epson 1200U scanner always works as well. This is under Win2K.

Comment

well i had similar prob.. my plustek scanner was detected as a USB scanner but cant seem to install the drivers when u plug it in.. worked around that by uninstalling it from the device and uninstalling any related s/w from the control panel. unplugged the scanner and rebooted the system. then i installed only the driver(from the vendor) and selected(forced)to use LPT port (scanner still unplugged). I did this just to get the driver installed. then i plugged in the USB scanner and when autodetected forced it to use the driver above.. ended up with 2 copies so i removed the LPT and rebooted ..worked fine... then i installed the s/w (etc action manager/utility)
                        This was done under win2k SP1

------------------
                        config of my rig :^)
                        Viewsonic PS775 17"(non-flat) G400DH 32MB Duron650MHz ASUS A7V PC133 128MB SDRAM SBLiveValue AltecLansing ACS45.1 Spkrs
                        "It does not matter how many times you fall down as long as you get up and go on."
                        Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                        ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Aren't you supposed to install the drivers before pluging the scanner in?
                          Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

I'm starting to have the same problems.

Abit KA7-100
                            256 MB RAM
                            Win2k SP2

Except my problem really screws me up. I have a USB mouse and keyboard...and every time I do even trivial stuff like copy a file, the USB dies. Screen saver kills the USB. Everything kills USB, except playing games.

Here are some fun links to check out! How many hot fixes are there post SP2? Guess...come on...guess...

Post Win2k SP2 Hot Fixes

USB issues in Win2k SP2

Oh look...more USB Mouse and Keyboard troubles

And look...more USB Keyboard troubles...you'd think they would test this since all of their new keyboards are USB ready...

It's a good thing I don't use the right Ctrl key...

Are we having fun yet?!?!?!?! Looks like I'm dropping back down to SP1 tonight.

------------------
                            ]@/\/\/\/\|Ø\0©|<

Athlon 650
                            256 MB PC133 CAS3 from Crucial
                            87 GB storage from WD & IBM
                            Matrox G400 (it's not dead yet!)
                            SB Live! the original full retail, still going strong
                            Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400, the PC speakers that goes BOOM!
                            Please email me if you would like to contribute to the "Jammrock needs new toys" fund.
                            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I'm a lucky bastard, I got one of the good KT7s. I've used zip drives, scanners, and quickcams with nary a problem, on any of the four usb ports. I didn't install the usb fix either. In fact a friend of mine had me troubleshoot his quickcam as it wasn't working on his machine. It turns out the problem was with the usb not being recognized by the computer. This was an AT mobo from Super 7 Hell with a VIA chipset.
                              I'm not sure I'll buy another Abit board though, too many horror stories
                              [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                              Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                              Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                              Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                              Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Working...
                              X