Problems with Win2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with Win2000

A few days ago I removed my old mobo (Jamicon A586B, or it might also have been SuperPower A586B) and put in a newer mobo with exactly same chipset as the old one. The old one had problems with my G450 so my only option was to get a better one. Both had ALi Aladdin V chipset (though old one had M1543 and the newer had M1543-C, which might cause this problem...). I didn't reinstall Win2000, and everything worked fine. The problems started when I reinstalled Win2000. Now no game which uses DirectX doesn't work properly; they are all too fast (yet they say they draw only 8 fps or so). It seems to me that there's some kind of a problem with timing. Wintune says I have only 450 MIPS, but if I run it in Win98, I suddenly have 900+ MIPS. Same with games. They run extremely well in Win98, but too fast (and slow ) in Win2000. Is there a fix to this problem or do I have to play in Win98 and do my work in Win2000 (switching OS's gets too darn difficult in the long run!).
    Hey, maybe you and I could... you know... [SLAP] Agh!

Personally I would backup everything I wanted and do a fresh and clean install to see if there was an issue during reinstall/repair install.......
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Yes, well, formatting the harddrive usually deletes everything... just as I did (maybe I didn't mention it?).

Comment

Just wipeout the OS folder... not the entire drive. It's best to always do this when installing a new MB. Tho any registered apps/games will need to be reinstalled again too, but that's the price U pay when upgrading MB's.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Install it on a via chipset and it will do a reformat for you all by itself.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I would recomend a close look through the BIOS settings....
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Update yo' bios.
              C:\DOS
              C:\DOS\RUN
              \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

The BIOS is already up-to-date. A closer look on what options?

I figured that if I switched nearly everything off from my BIOS, installed Win2000 and then switched everything back on, it might work, as I could fool Win2000 not to install everything (as it wouldn't be able to know what my BIOS supports). Didn't help.

Comment

Working...
                X