Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new videocard.. any advice?

Hi,

since Matrox isn't going to affor me a good replacement for my G400MAX i'll have to look somewhere else.

I don't care what the price is, only thing i want is good to best 3d performance, really good to best 2d picture quality and good to best DVD output on PAL TV.

I was thinking to get an GF3, but their TVout really sucks on PAL tv's. A Radeon seems like a good choice, but the RadeonII is scheduled next month???

Kyro is not an option because GP3 won't work on that card (at least that is what i've heard) and it is has low performance with Tribes2

What should i do? (ps card is paired with P3 1ghz)

Michel
    PIII 1Ghz|AbitSa6R|512mb Kingston|Matrox Parhelia 512 Retail|80gb WD & 30gb IBM 75gxp|Diamond MX300 A3d 2.0|36xcdrom|6x32AopenDVD|Sony DRU500A|Intel Pro 10/100 S|IIyama Vision Master Pro 450 | Celly 300a@450 'server' powered by a G400MAX

Well the Kyro has one advantage: it's cheap. so it won't feel like i've lost alot if it get's updated in 6 months..

What about the 2d performance and DVD output on PAL?

What do you call acceptable framerates with T2? 1024x768 everthing maxed out is playable?

PIII 1Ghz|AbitSa6R|512mb Kingston|Matrox Parhelia 512 Retail|80gb WD & 30gb IBM 75gxp|Diamond MX300 A3d 2.0|36xcdrom|6x32AopenDVD|Sony DRU500A|Intel Pro 10/100 S|IIyama Vision Master Pro 450 | Celly 300a@450 'server' powered by a G400MAX

Comment

if you wait a little longer there will be the kyro 2 ultra (higher clock speed (200, now 175) and even the kyro 3, but there always is something better just at the horizon

Comment

2D is fine, although you DO have to tweak some settings (someone gooned and the default driver install turns OFF page flipping in 2D mode, so you get tearing. WTF?).

As for DVD output to PAL, I wouldn't know since I got the non-tv-out board.

- Guerm

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Your three choices are the GF (horrible 2D, even with the GF3), the Radeon (good but as you said due to be outdated ASAP), and the Kyro2.

I personally think the Kyro2 kicks ass. PowerVR seems committed to weekly driver updates (there have been three since I received my board), so I wouldn't worry about compatibility issues. And Tribes2 can be worked around to get acceptable frames.

- Gurm

------------------
          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

I like the G550 because of the new abilitiles

Jeff
            -We stop learning when We die, and some
            people just don't know They're dead yet!

Member of the COC!
            Minister of Confused Knightly Defence (MCKD)

Food for thought...
            - Remember when naps were a bad thing?
            - Remember 3 is the magic number....

Comment

Working...
            X