Where the hell did 4GB go?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where the hell did 4GB go?!?!

I`ve lost 4GB of space on my primary partition!!!

All the folders occupy 5.66GB of space ( as they should). But Explorer shows that there is ~10.5Gb of used space? WTF!

OO Defrag shows that files that occupy that space is C:\System Volume Information\catalog.wci\cicat.fid.

What the hell is that thing? I finally found that file, it was in C:\inetpub\catalog.wci. So i uninstalled IIS, then deleted inetpub folder, but i`m still missing 4Gb`s of space. I tried checkdisk, both online and boot time check, it found no errors ...

------------------
    Seth, are you ok ?
    I`m peachy, Kate. The world is my oyster.
    Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

I think that's used by the Indexing Service, called cisvc.exe. It's indexing your files for faster searches later.

Stop the service in Computer Management, then locate it in Add/Remove Windows Components (it should be the very first item in the list) and uninstall it.

If that didn't remove the files, you are probably safe to remove the files inside config.wci. You go blame it on someone else though if that kills your OS.

Comment

One thing i forgot to mention is that cicat.fid STILL occupies the "free" space. ( or so OO Defrag tells me)

------------------
      Seth, are you ok ?

Comment

Blah. Solved it. Found the dir and deleted it. If it screws up Windows ... i`ll blame fds

------------------
        Seth, are you ok ?

Comment

LOL
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I have been meaning to ask this:

What thos the acronym "LOL" stand for?

Sometimes i think murc forums are in legue with NASA (National acronym slinging agency)
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-quer...=LOL&Find=Find

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Technoid:
                I have been meaning to ask this:

What thos the acronym "LOL" stand for?
                </font>
                Laughing Out Loud.
                it can also mean Little Old Lady.

Comment

I`m a little old lady? Why i oughtta ... ah, Laughing out loud ... ok ...

------------------
                  Seth, are you ok ?

Comment

Well, thanks for the quick answer...
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                    X