Biggest load of shit ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Biggest load of shit ever

Well thats my Abit KT7a 133a raid and my biggest mistake yet.
    The history some crashing and trashing left out.
    1) Installed the new motherboard rebooted Windows 2k died.
    2) Inserted rescue disk corrupt hard disk.
    3) Reformatted and re-installed.
    4) Rebooted corrupt hard disk
    5) Bios fail safe selected.
    6) re-installed rebooted corrupt hard disk.
    7) Hard disk wouldn't reformat now fdisk or anything.
    8) Since drive looked knackered ordered new drive and pissed around in 98 on the other drive.
    9) Downloaded IBMS disk tool at work.
    10) Tried it on the old drive yep a bad sector and used the tool to fix it. Still wouldn't format or fdisk.
    11) Take old hard disk to work since I've read about the crappy 686b bug.
    12) Hard drive fdisks and formats striaght away. Mmm. New hard drive arrives.
    13) Do the card shuffle three times before win2k installs on new drive. Can now install the patches.
    14) System still unstable juggle the cards around and get a more stable system but still likes to crash.
    15) Email Overclockers asking for a rma number suggested trying another config. Instant blue screen.
    16) Asked for another rma no reply another rummage in the slots and play with wpcedit. Ah the system runs.
    17) DVD's don't play on either win98 or win2k.
    18) Tried different versions of via 4.1's no go.
    19) Ditched 4.1 ide drivers and set the Bios for non for the dvd. DVD's now work but crackles badly.
    20) Moved the DVD to the Primary on the via drive and IBM to the highpoint. Crackling gone DVD happy.
    21) NDD insists that the partion on drive C is corrupt when running 98. Under win2k no errors reported. Move to Via controller the problem goes away. Ignore the error.
    22) Works happily for four weeks then replying to message on how I got my system stable and the machine freezes.
    23) Check the event viewer time outs on the highpoint controller.
    24) Swap things around putting the dvd on the highpoint and ibm drives on the via controller event viewer still shows errors.
    25) Put everything back on the via controller and everything is okay again.
    26) Flash the bios of the highpoint and install the latest drivers. Win98 dies horribly. Win2k fills the event viewer with timeout messages. Disable the highpint and forget it for now.
    27) Since things arn't quite happy on the via controller buy a promise ultra tx2 and slap everything on there.
    28) Everything happy for nine days until two nights ago when theres a blue screen shutting down just make out a message about sysman before the machine reboots.
    29) Runs okay last night for two hours and then blue screens with irq not less than or equal message.
    30) Some have reported that the 3c Bios has had good results for them so I try that. Clear the cmos and reset the settings.
    31) Machine reboots and freezes on desktop.
    32) Reboot again starts and runs. Run virus checker just in case something has sneaked in. Machine freezes so I think piss that and go to sleep.

So I'm going to pull the sblive and see what happens. If that cures it I look for a new card. If it doesn't it's a long slow process or going through the hardware memory etc but for me I reckon it's a crap motherboard.

I look longingly at my Bx overclocked board running happily in the corner.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Wow! What a pain! Running a KT-7A non-RAID myself under W2K and having some problems, but most seem to be related to souncard or my add-in Promise FastTrack 100 RAID. Abit can't seem to write a decent BIOS to save their life, and I'm only lucky that I knew the Highpoint controller was trouble before the fact. Although most of my problems seem to be ironed-out, still have soundcard wierdness (switching between an Aureal Vortex 2 and Turtle Beach Santa Cruz...each has problems of one sort or another in W2K, although the Santa Cruz seems to be the lessor of the two evils...but not by much)

What really pisses me off is that I can't play any of my Divx movies on the system if the Promise card is in the system, no matter what changes I make in the BIOS. Locks up hard...maybe after 2min, or perhaps after 2 hours. Install the op-system on a drive on the native 686b controller, all is well.

Probably the last Abit board I am gonna buy. Put together a reasonably simple system and all is well. Start pushing the envelope and you better like blue screens or hard-freezes. Plays Quake all day and night, but I like my system to do a bit more than that. Goddammit Intel, why can't you make a decent DDR chipset and a Pentium III running at 1.7GHz?????

Comment

The Pit, "26) Flash the bios of the highpoint and install the latest drivers."

Is this the order of the procedure you used? Supposed to be install the drivers, then flash the BIOS. Promise has the same procedure.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble. The board I had for 4 months was great, even with the notorious Highpoint. Had booted from SCSI, IDE 1 and two RAID 0's. Never got it to duplicate the 686B bug with the SB Live in it.
      MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
      Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
      512MB regular Crucial PC2100
      Matrox P
      X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
      LianLiPC70

Comment

Avoid putting cards in PCI4 and PCI6 if you can possibly help it. I have plain old KT7 and with ATI TV Wonder in PCI2, SBLive! in PCI3 and RT8139 based NIC in PCI5 the machine is stable with Duron700@950. Of course I have a nice 300W PSU and a Globalwin WBK38 HSF, so power and cooling are great.

This just in http://www.ntcompatible.com/cgi-bin/...em.cgi?sblive2
        New drivers for SBLive!

[This message has been edited by DentyCracker (edited 15 June 2001).]
        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Well I've got a soundblaster live 5.1 G400 adaptec 2940u card network card, wintv card, promise card. The 2940 and wintv don't get on well sharing with each other so they've got to be serparte. The thing which pisses me is that will work hours on end and then sddenly go crazy.
          The power supply is energy 431 watt 256mb x2 crucial pc133 cas 2 ram scsi cdwriter and scsi cdrom. Ied DVd drive since I couldn't get hold of a scsi 2 x ibm hard drives and spare harddrive that I wish to slap lunix on if I get the thing stable under win2k.
          Further options are to disable acpi and see what happens as well. But first the soundcard is coming out and I'll run it like that for a bit.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Warning VIA onboard......

Intel has not licensed VIA to make chipsets for Intel Processors. And you wonder why you see so many problems with this combination......

It's not ABIT or ASUS or Creative or Matrox or nVidia or Intel or AMD it's friggn VIA's fault!!!!!!!!! For making CRAP!!!!

I'm in Darth mode today

Paul
            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Here is Intel's official response to this topic......

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200...html?tag=cd_mh

Paul
              "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Still looking at my old bx working faithfully in the corner will it make a comeback.
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Well took the soundblaster live out and it still froze. The cpu is guarenteed to 1150 mhz anyway I dropped it back to 1ghz. In the past this made no differance when it was in ugly mood. It ran without freezing. I then slapped the memory speed back to 133mhz and it ran okay. I then noticed that the cpu and i/o voltage was set back at the default which according to the hardware manager comes out at 1.80 volts. I put this back down to 1.70 volts in the bios and the i/o down to 3.3 volts and slapped it back to 1150mhz and so far it's running. The sb is still out for now and I'll see what happens during the evening.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Wonder if you box is choaking on the SCSI controller in a similar manner to mine having trouble with the Promise controller...Hmmmm...

Comment

Or, with the volts unnessesarily up maybe it was over-heating.
                      chuck
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

DentyCracker, are you using the ATI WinTV in a WIn2000 environment? No problems?

thanks

Comment

This what I hate about the darn thing it's now been running two and half hours without a single prob. I'll let it have an twelve hour run tomorrow and see what happens but even then I don't trust it. If you see a low flying abit board go past your window you'll know it's bombed out again.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I got you beat! I've had a hard, long, hellatiously busy week. Thursday, the boss man said we can leave at 3 pm on Friday if we get our work done early.

Friday rolls around and we all start busting our butts to get the work done. It's my last trouble ticket of the day...a laptop install. I have 3 hours to do it... no troubles. I get Windows NT and all the apps re-installed, all the data transfered, everything done in two hours and show up at 2 pm...

"BTW,I need Windows 2000..."

Guess who doesn't get their laptop until Monday?

------------------
                            ]@/\/\/\/\|Ø\0©|<

Athlon 650
                            256 MB PC133 CAS3 from Crucial
                            87 GB storage from WD & IBM
                            Matrox G400 (it's not dead yet!)
                            SB Live! the original full retail, still going strong
                            Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400, the PC speakers that goes BOOM!
                            Please email me if you would like to contribute to the "Jammrock needs new toys" fund.
                            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

A SCSI card will limit your pursuit of a high FSB.

The Pit, what is your "K7 CLK_CTL Select" setting on in Advanced Chipset Features? This has something to do with internal parameters of the CPU. Default value is "Optimal," and I used to get freeze ups while even mildly overclocked until I set it to "Default."
                              MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                              Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                              512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                              Matrox P
                              X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                              LianLiPC70

Comment

Working...
                              X