Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

another Win2000 install question (last one I hope)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another Win2000 install question (last one I hope)

I have Win98se running on one harddrive (c , my second harddrive is just for data (d .

I want to install win2000 on my second harddrive.

Do I:

1: run win2000 setup from my c: drive in the win98se environment? (if so how do I tell it to install in d: drive only?)

2: run win2000 setup from my cdrom while in DOS?

3: should I convert my d: drive to NTFS from FAT32 before attempting setup, or leave it and let win2000 setup do it? (if it does it?)

4: I understand that win2000 installs some files on the c: drive, is this going to allow me to dual boot...or give me unreal headaches when I try to run win98se occassionally.

5: do I buy an Apple?

regards

dc

[This message has been edited by dancray (edited 22 June 2001).]

3. yes, w2k setup can do it, and you can also do it while working later on in w2k after having installed it. it takes just a few minutes.

4. yes and works fine without any tweaking if you only want to dual boot between microsoft operating systems

5. why not

And boot Windows 2000 setup straight from the CD. It's bootable. Install from there.

Comment

Yes boot from the cd. Otherwise it will want to upgrade you win98 installation.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">
        1: run win2000 setup from my c: drive in the win98se environment? (if so how do I tell it to install in d: drive only?) </font>
        Easiest to launch the setup from within a 32-bit OS. Win98 is just fine. Don't think it can upgrade 9x installs do to a different registry setup, so it'll give you the option to do a clean install. On the second or third setup screen is an advanced options button, click that and check the box that say "allow my to pick install partition" or something similar to that.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2"> 2: run win2000 setup from my cdrom while in DOS? </font>
        Nope, an install from an OS is easier.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">
        3: should I convert my d: drive to NTFS from FAT32 before attempting setup, or leave it and let win2000 setup do it? (if it does it?)
        </font>
        That depends, do you want the 98 install to be able to see the NTFS partition? It's handy in case an OS file gets flaky, if Win2k doesn't boot sometimes you can find it's backup by going into 98 and searching the 2000 install partition. Know it saved me when the 4.26 Via 4in1s corrupted one of my registry keys. You can also leave it as FAT32 and convert it later if you want. Once Win2000 is installed run the following from the cmd line "convert x: /FS:NTFS"

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">4: I understand that win2000 installs some files on the c: drive, is this going to allow me to dual boot...or give me unreal headaches when I try to run win98se occassionally. </font>
        As long as the 98 OS is already installed you shouldn't have any trouble. Win2000 creates it's own boot menu and lists all the operating systems that it finds on your system. Win2000 itself is the default but you can change that later from within 2000. I've got Win2000 Pro, ADV Server and Win98 all running and it's been flawless. Just keep them on separate partitions to lessen the chance of one overwriting a file the other needs. My current setup is
        C: Win98 with Win2000 boot files (FAT32)
        D: Win2000 Pro install (FAT32
        E: Programs (FAT32)
        F: mp3 (NTFS)
        G: backup (NTFS)
        H: adv server (NTFS)

hope it helps.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 24 June 2001).]
        Asus A7V133, Duron 750@847, 512mb PC133 Crucial RAM, G400 DH, Maxtor 7200rpm 40 & 15GB, Liteon 16/10/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB-Live, D-Link NIC

Comment

sheesh a problem in setup of win2000 already

I ran win2000 setup from my cddrom in win98se OS, and when win2000 setup reboot itself as part of the installation process...I got a blue screen warning me that:

"STOP 0903540354059305,035490XX0249302)
          INACESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

So i had to reboot back into win98.

Why is it doing this and how do I fix it? If i decide to abort the win2000 install altogether, how do I get rid of that annoying dualboot prompt at the beginning og starting up my computer?

regards...dc

ps...I have an ABIT be6-2 mb with a ata66 highpoint...my boot disk is the primary partition C:

[This message has been edited by dancray (edited 24 June 2001).]

Comment

You need to have a floppy with highpoint drivers and use it when win2k asks if you have any third party scsi drivers to install.

Unfortunetly win2k doesn´t have generic mass storage device drivers as win98

Comment

ok, will try....

thanks

Comment

cool, seems to have worked and the WIN2000 running nicely with minimal tweaking.

Now, how can I instruct the dual boot to launch win98 first (as default) instead of the win2000....

and if I need to remove win2000 from my d: drive how do I uninstall it...thank you so far for your assistance

dc
                ps...there is a file called "Pagefile.sys" that is almost 1 gig in size...is it important for win2k..can I safely delete it a it is so huge.

[This message has been edited by dancray (edited 24 June 2001).]

Comment

Just don't be surprised if your computer crashes every so often or HDD transfers pause for seconds. That's an extra gift for using HPT controllers.
                  The problem is solved by hooking your HD's to the reliable BX controller and forgetting about the HPT crap.

Pagefile.sys is the paging file. Virtual memory. As such you shouldn't delete it.
                  Enable hibernation support and you get another hidden file as big as your RAM.

And the other question: Control Panel, System, Advanced, Startup and Recovery button.

Finally you don't uninstall Win2k, ever. You uninstall Win9x.

Comment

In Win2k press Windows key+pause. Click the advanced tab. Then Startup and Recovery. You'll then have the option to select Win98 from the drop down menu and set how many seconds it'll wait before booting. Don't set it to 0 or you'll have to manually edit the boot.ini file to get into the other OS.
                    Once that's done go back a step and you'll see Performance options. You can alter the pagefile size from there.
                    Asus A7V133, Duron 750@847, 512mb PC133 Crucial RAM, G400 DH, Maxtor 7200rpm 40 & 15GB, Liteon 16/10/32, Samsung 12x DVD, SB-Live, D-Link NIC

Comment

part of my problem is that I have created is that I installed win2k on my D; drive, and when I run Win2k it shows my d: drive as my "c:" drive now. So if I attempt to run any programs from my previously installed Win98se primary partiton the "c:" drive-based programs gets all screwed. The only way (in my totally newbie view that is) for me to alter the predicament is to reinstall win2k on my c: drive.

so how do I do that?

I know I am being silly but I want to be able to tell the com-poo-ter what to do; not the other way around

regards dc

Comment

IMHO you need to install the games you want to run under Win2K under Win2K. If you install Win2K to the "C=98" drive where the games are they still might not work correctly.

Dil
                        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Working...
                        X