Sub US$1000 Video Card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub US$1000 Video Card

Whats everyone's opinion on the best video card for supporting dual processor's, that can handle some games, and does CAD pretty decently. I want one that is under $1000. So far the only one that i can think of is the Elsa Gloria III.
    First Love:
    • Lite-On FS020 enclosure w/4 120mm Panaflos and soon a 172mm Nidec
    • MSI 694D Pro w/ BIOS 1.6
    • 2x800E cC0 Pentium 3 w/ 2xVolcanoII
    • SyncMAX(NEC) PC166 VCM SDRAM 4x128mb w/ CAS = 1
    • nVidia Quadro2 Pro, but Matrox at heart
    • And other non-important stuff like hard drives and a dvd drive
    • Pineapples

Second Love:
    1990 Toyota Celica GT

A CAD card which can handle games????? mmmh that a tricky one. Gloria III is the only one, I'm sure of it. . I'd expect a GF3 version of this quite soon as well for around a $1000.

Comment

Turbo, how is the image quality compared to.. lets say a G400MAX? Is the quality significantly better than geforce2 cards?

whats the DDC card? what does that stand for?

what about a quadro card based on the geforce3?
      First Love:
      • Pineapples

Second Love:
      1990 Toyota Celica GT

Comment

WaR-ped:

AFAIK the DDC is the GF3 Quadro

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

What can somebody expect to pay for the GLoria cards? How well do they support the DX8 API? Programmable TnL? Are there any new GLoria cards announced/rumored that will be more capable and in the same price ballpark?
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Thanks.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I'm not in a hurry to replace my Max yet but its good to know my options. If I ever get my own DSL (versus the corporate firewall'ed DSL I use, i.e. no gaming), I may then be ready to step up to a faster on-line gaming card.

Comment

War-ped.
                DCC stands for Digital Content Creation, which is a standard for use in applications such as 3D Studio Max ect.
                I was under the immpresion that Elsa would manufacturer the DCC for from Discreet resellers, the makers of 3DSM.
                Elsa also have a synergy 3 card, that is dual head DCC, but is based on the MX chip.
                Personally I use a Quadro 2 pro and a GF2MX PCI so i can have dual head . And like Turbo have never regretted replacing my G400 . Bang for bucks its the best low end option.

Comment

Hmm... looks intriguing.

Perhaps Ill wait for the DDC to be released and then ill pick up a GloriaIII for less money. I dont need all that DX8 stuff.

any thoughts on modding a gf2 into a quadro2?
                  First Love:
                  • Pineapples

Second Love:
                  1990 Toyota Celica GT

Comment

LOL
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I'll take that as a "no, thats a bad idea"...

I have the oppurtunity to purchase a quadro2 for US$350. Thats an incredible deal. Its a an OEM snagged out of a Dell system.

the only thing I worry about is that it its from an auction so im not certain of the reliability of it and what not, or if Elsa drivers will work on it and so forth.

any thoughts? the auction ends soon so i want y'alls opinion
                      First Love:
                      • Pineapples

Second Love:
                      1990 Toyota Celica GT

Comment

Do NOT mod a standard GF2 into a Quadro... You'll gain the features, but not the image quality - and that's what puts the Quadro really ahead of regular GF2s...

AZ
                        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

War-Ped, you can use the generic nVidia drivers in conjunction with the Elsa Max Extreme drivers, for use in CAD/CAM apps so I dont forsee any problems. You can always flash the BIOS to the Gloria 3.
                          I also manage to get a core speed of 300Mhz out of it and mem set at 500mhz!

[This message has been edited by bacon (edited 24 June 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                          X