Which widescreen TV to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which widescreen TV to get?

I've been saving up to buy myself a real nice (PAL) TV, and currently I'm considering one of the following:

a 100Hz Philips 28" widescreen
    a 100Hz Panasonic 28" widescreen
    a 50Hz Sony 28" Widescreen Wega
    a 100Hz Sony Widescreen Wega

the Sony 50Hz, Philips and Panasonic all were about the same price, but the Panasonic and Philips both have a 100Hz tube... can anyone tell me if a 100Hz tube is that much better than a 50Hz one? The Philips and the Panasonic also didn't have a flat tube, as both the Sony TVs had. The 100Hz Sony is much more expensive than the other three, and I'm doubting if it's worth the extra money... can anyone help me out?

I'll use the TV primarily for playback of video through SCART-RGB outputted by my G400.

btw. I couldn't really estimate which of the TVs had the best picture, as they splitted the cable signal over about 60 TVs, so all TVs had interference on the picture

[This message has been edited by dZeus (edited 18 June 2001).]

I've got a Sony 28" Sony (50Hz) Wega. and I think its fantastic

If you see a 50Hz TV next to one at 100Hz, initially the latter looks much better. However, for digital signals, the fact that the picture is being digitally processed to double the refresh on a 100Hz set, means that although less flickerly, it can make the picture look 'worse'. i.e more digital atifacting may be apparent.

Comment

I find 50 Hz not enough to really be flicker-free, so I'd always go for 100 Hz

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

How about Plasma Frank

------------------
        Seth, are you ok ?
        I`m peachy, Kate. The world is my oyster.
        Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Just to be annoying - have you looked at JVC's Tellys? I've got a 28" (50Hz) JVC Flatscreen (wega-like) widescreen TV and it's great!

I had a Sony one (widescreen 28") but it went wrong and they messed me about so I demanded my dosh back and bought a JVC.

I looked at the Philips TVs too and was quite impressed - found nothing bad about them at all (just a touch pricey for me).

I think the Wega's are way to overpriced for me to buy one (till I win the lottery that is)

------------------
          Cheers,
          Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

This is what I am saving my money for.

http://www.rca.com/product/viewdetai...00009,00.html?

Joel

Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
            Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

This is what I'm considering:

Mitsubishi WS-55907

<hr><TABLE BGCOLOR=Aqua><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Blue>^<font COLOR=Navy>¶@/\/\</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I bought it, but it's not in yet. Probalby tomorrow or the next day. Personally I think Sony TV's are way overpriced and there picture quality looks like crap to me. Also, the screen is dark compared to some other brands.

http://www.toshiba.com/tacp/tv/40H80.html

Edit: I should also mention that the TV can be purchased for aobut ~$2000.00 from best Buy or ~$1800 from Video Only.

[This message has been edited by Helevitia (edited 18 June 2001).]
                Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

What are you going to drive that with Dave? And when are you giving a showing?
                  <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

What do you mean? HT equipment? You are all invited for a showing anytime

Dave
                    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I mean what are you going to receive HDTV with? HiPix card for OTA HDTV, BUD with 4DTV and HDD-200, DIRECTV plus with RCA DTC100? Thanks for the invite. What city are you in?

Comment

I'd be hard pressed to ever buy a Toshiba. Especially after seeing that their crt's like to short out.

Sorry Dave hope it doesn't happen to you

RCA, Bah! I know a couple of their crack head EE's (Thompson North American headquarters are located in Indy 4 miles from where I use to live)... and I do mean they do that shit!
                        RCA (Thompson) closed down their TV manufacturing center in Bloomington IN, wiping out many families and opened up shop in Juarez Mexico to those whom will do the same for $2/hr. Don't think I'll be buying anything from them either.
                        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Well, I'm not really getting for the "HD" part of the TV yet. I haven't researched which stations actually send digital signals to my area. The main reasons for me to get it are:

Progressive Scan for DVD and GameCube
                          16:9 format for Movies.
                          The amazing clarity of the screen sitting at the side of it.
                          The screen is the brightest I've seen.

The "HD" part is for future proof. I am thinking of getting a dish and noticed that there are choices between DD and non-DD receivers and HD and non-HD receivers. I'm tyring to do a little more research before I buy one. Also, what good does PIP do if you use a cable or Dish box? Is there a way around that?

Dave

Comment

Greebe,

yeah, I read that about the shorts. I'm not that worried about it. It seems they weren't putting enough GOO around the base of the CRT which would cause an ARC to occur and short out the TV. I even read one instance where there was a tiny pinhole in the cable leading up to the CRT which was causing the ARCing. From what I've read, they are GOOing it to death now.

Dave

Comment

Dave, be very careful of burn-in when watching 4x3 on a 16x9 set. Best thing to prevent it (other than stretching 4x3) is to lower the brightness. Check the AV Science forums for info on HDTV.

Comment

Working...
                              X