Finaly got the W2K SP2 down!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finaly got the W2K SP2 down!

Did they realy have to make it a 101.5 MB dll?

Couldent they have divided it between the diferent W2K versions?

On the other way...

Half-Life full patch is 54 mb!!
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

It's a real bite for me. Got cable at work, and have a parallel port zip to sneaker those big files home into my SCSI ZIP insider. But they are only the 100MB ZIP's, which only holds 95.7 anyway.
    MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
    Matrox P
    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
    LianLiPC70

Comment

You could order it on CD, and there is also an updater available which detects and downloads only the updates necessary for your system.

The latter is of course not a good idea if you want to update multiple systems.

The latest Half-Life patch is also included on the Blue Shift misson pack CD.

Both are probably available on the cover CDs of any of your local magazines as well.

Finally, what does this have to do with GHW?

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by fds:
        Finally, what does this have to do with GHW?</font>
        This forum is General Hardware and Software...

------------------
        Cheers,
        Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Yes, obviously.. it just looked like a simple rant on the size of downloads without really asking for an answer.

Comment

Yeh it does seem that the poor 56k modem user is being forgotten. Good job I've got a fast connection at work. Soon I'll need a 250 usb zip drive to transport the patches home!!
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I believe MSFT's thinking is, if you're running W2K, then you probably are using a high-speed link for internet access. fds pointed out that there are alternatives to downloading the entire service pack.

Little Zip drives don't have much use in today's storage needs. Try tape or removable HDDs (mobile dock).
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

My rants are never trivial and I usualy try to keap them in TSB.

BTW;

I dont belive MSFT is thinking, I know that they arnt thinking at all most times.

------------------
                You break them, I fix them!
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Yes, ofcourse I downloaded the Network version.

The sp2express.exe is a bad idea.

Having to redownload everytime i Reinstall is a bigger pain in the ass than downloading that big hunk once!

Besides I downloaded SP1 in that way on 3 different machines (and when i mean different I mean different Manboards, hdd, fdd, grafix, sound etc etc) and they all downloaded the exactly the same files..

Comment

You download the network version of the service pack. 100 MB because it covers all flavors of win2k and has tools to help network admins.

You want the sp2express.exe file from microsoft. Its couple 542 KB and it analysis your system and only donloads what it needs. Usually a 10-20MB download.
                    A person should not promise to give a child something and then not give it,
                    because in that way the child learns to lie.
                    Babylonian Talmud

Comment

I have a copy of win2k upgrade from work and just want to see how it runs on my test system at home. But I do not have any windows wares in my test system; is there any way to "trick" win2000 upgrade into installing itself into a non-windows machine (without actually instally win98 first).

Perhaps there are some win98 .dlls that are not too big I can copy that will make win2k believe it is upgrading?

regards

Comment

Dancray - It is possible to do that if you have a full version of either Win98(se) or NT4, during the install it will ask you to insert a qualifying CD. Just swap the CDs, it will check, and then you just need to reinsert the Win2k CD back in. Then just let it run.

------------------
                        P=I^2*R
                        P=I^2*R
                        Antec SX1240|Asus A7V333WR|Athlon XP2200 1.80Ghz|512 MB PC2700|TDK VeloCD 24-10-40b|Samsung 16x DVD|SBAudigy2|ATI Radeon 8500 128MB|WinTV Theater|15/20/60GB Maxtor|3x 100GB WD100JB RAID0 on Promise Fastrak Lite|WinXP-Pro|Samsung SyncMaster 181T and 700p+|Watercooled

IBM Thinkpad T22|900Mhz|256MB|32GB|14.1TFT|Gentoo

Comment

Working...
                        X