Power (energy) question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power (energy) question

I have a Blackout Buster (UPS device) with all my computer equipment hooked to it. If I turn off my computer and monitor does the UPS use less power or does it always draw a constant amount? Would I have to turn of the BB to actually conserve any energy?

Also does turning a monitor on and off wear it down like how hard drives get worn down with frequent spinning up/down? If I'm not using my monitor for an hour should I turn it off or just let it go into my blank screensaver?

Just curious and Oregon is going into an energy crunch like Cali

Thanks,
    Thien
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Well, rapidly turning a monitor on and off in a short time will definitely wear it down. But if you go away for more than 1/2 hour, I would turn it off. The monitor, especially if it's a larger one, usually sucks the most power out of any component in your system.

Comment

The UPS by itself only uses a couple watts to keep the battery. Basically it isn't going to be using any power unless it has to recharge the battery.

As for the monitor, a screensaver doesn't do anything for power reduction or help in extending the monitor life. If you set your monitor power save in winblows to 10 or 15 min, then that will help, since the tube turns off and the monitor goes into low-power mode.

Comment

Using the power-saving mode will help with the monitor. I personally try to never use the button on my monitor, since this button is often one of the first things to break. I just let it power off when the computer stops sending a signal to it.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Ditto Wombat
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I've used the power button on my NEC for many years ... no problem: Maybe its just because its such a rock solid monitor. Of course, I don't have much choice since its pre-PnP. I agree that this is the most important device to shut down when not in use. I never power up my printer unless I'm printing and I shut it off as soon as I know I'm done printing for a while. Of course the PC makes a handy room warmer for those chilly, damp, Oregon days. A hot PC isn't good for machine nor Man on a day like today in N. California ... expected to break 102 ... better get outside and finish my paver work while its still cool.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

My Iiyama uses about 10W I think, when there's no signal

And it uses over 100W on full power!

But, it's nice

P.
              Meet Jasmine.
              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

Yeah I ment having blank screensaver and energy-save on. Thanks guys, I guess I can leave the BB on at nights.

Oh, and actually I have used my computer to keep my room warm during the winter months. Also I also have an NEC 15" monitor on my parent's computer, and it has lasted for 6 years now.
                Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
                X