Lucky me, i'm the latest person to have trouble setting up a home network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucky me, i'm the latest person to have trouble setting up a home network

Ok, so I built myself a new system recently (WOOT!), and I had lots of parts left over and was actually able to rebuild my old system this time. So of course the next logical step was to network them together. So here's the dealy, in one system I have a 3com 3c905B-TX, and in the other I have a 3c905c-TX-NM. Both puters are running W2000 Pro, and they are connected through a Linksys 4 port 10Mb hub.

I've given my new machine an ip address of 192.168.1.1, and my old machine 1.2. The problem, and this is really weird, is that my old machine can ping my new machine, but my new machine can't ping my old machine. So, thats the initial problem, and stemming from that is the fact that they can't see each other in the network neighborhood, and they are in the same workgroup.

So, I'm open to any ideas, brilliant or otherwise, because I'm already sick of messing with it when there doesn't seem to be any obvious reason that I should be getting such strange problems.

Thanks
    Ian
    Primary System:
    MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
    120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
    Win XP, MS Intellimouse Optical, 17" Mag 720v2
    Seccondary System:
    Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
    3Com 3c905B-TX NIC, 40 GB IBM UDMA 100 HD, 45X Acer CD-ROM,
    Win XP, MS Wheel Mouse Optical, 15" POS Monitor
    Tertiary system
    Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
    Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Well, I'm pretty sure pings should never only work 1 way...

Are the cables ok? Can't think of much else that would stop pings working, can you try swapping the cards? Cables? Hub? Ports?

P.
    Meet Jasmine.
    flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

firewall running?

mfg
      wulfman
      "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
      "Lobsters?"
      "Really? I didn't know they did that."
      "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Are you pinging by hostname or dotted address? Try adding the machines into your host table (%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) if your pinging by hostname. Can the new machine ping itself (127.0.0.1)?
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Your hub, did you use a cross-over cable from the first PC to the hub and a normal cable from the hub to the second PC?

ah edit: and in which slot on the hub is your second PC plugged in? Is the light on the hub and on the card burning? (If not, plug to 4, 3, 2 until you have a light burning)

Jord.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 17 June 2001).]
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Well, I'm pretty sure pings should never only work 1 way...

Thats what I've been led to believe to... nevertheless, it's doing it.

firewall running?
            I have ZA installed on one system, but I've been shutting it down, maybe I'll try unintalling it just to see if that is the problem.

Are you pinging by hostname or dotted address? Try adding the machines into your host table
            Dotted quad of course, I know well better than to ping by name for troubleshooting purposes.

Anyway, I do have something of an update, I decided to enable that MS ICS crap on my main system since that is half of the purpose of this project anyway. So I did, and it did fun stuff, changed the IP address, told me to set it to DHCP on the secondary machine, and good stuff like that. So I did, and lo and behold... I can connect to the net on my secondary system through my main system, just the way it's supposed to work.

I still can't ping the second system from the main though, and they still can't see each other over the network, and I did create normal shares on both systems.

I even tried installing NetBEUI to see if that would work instead, and it didn't.

I've tried different cat5 cables, I've tried different ports on the hubs, I've tried different driver versions, I even tried forcing both nics to 10baseTx half duplex, nothing works... The second system can always ping the first, and the first can't ping the second, and they can never see each other in network neighborhood.

So it comes down to two possibilities, sortof, either one of the nics is partially bad, or there is some REALLY frigging obscure problem here.

So, how about some really off the wall and crazy suggestions, I've tried everything that I can think of.

Thanks
            Ian
            Primary System:
            MSI 745 Ultra, AMD 2400+ XP, 1024 MB Crucial PC2100 DDR SDRAM, Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro, 3Com 3c905C NIC,
            120GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, 60 GB Seagate UDMA 100 HD, Pioneer DVD 105S, BenQ 12x24x40 CDRW, SB Audigy OEM,
            Seccondary System:
            Epox 7KXA BIOS 5/22, Athlon 650, 512 MB Crucial 7E PC133 SDRAM, Hercules Prophet 4500 Kyro II, SBLive Value,
            Tertiary system
            Offbrand PII Mobo, PII 350, 256MB PC100 SDRAM, 15GB UDMA66 7200RPM Maxtor HD, USRobotics 10/100 NIC, RedHat Linux 8.0
            Camera: Canon 10D DSLR, Canon 100-400L f4.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon 100 Macro USM Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, Canon Speedlite 200E, tripod, bag, etc.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology will be indistinguishable from magic." --Arthur C. Clarke

Comment

WTF!!!!!!!!

I can't believe this... it just started fricking working.

I hate windows, with a passion.

sigh, oh well, as long as the damn thing doesn't stop working I'll remain happy.

I suppose it must have been ZA, I uninstalled it and that seemed to do it for some reason.

Ok, so I geuss it doesn't get much more obscure than that.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Ian
              Primary System:
              Seccondary System:
              Tertiary system

Comment

Yup zonelarm hosed my home network as well.
                It popped up anice little question do you want this card to access the network. I said yes and the system didn't work. Nothing I could do would bring it back so I ditched zonealarm.
                Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I have ZA up and running without any probs.

I had to enter the IP of the client in security -> advanced.
                  The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
                  X