Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help from hardware guru, mobo or vid card dying

Heres my problem.

I have all kind of video related problem since 2 weeks with my radeon. First, my Computer will crash everytime the screensaver is on for a while.
    Second, and more important, my computer shut down by itself and won't reboot for at least 30 minutes on a random patern, but I can reproduce that problem everytime i run 3d mark 2001, without exception (100% of the time I run it). what happen is that as soon as the benchmark is over, or in the last test (per pixel), the computer shut down, and won't reboot for at least 30 min( sometimes more). This is not an heat issue since I managed to see the temperature just before it crashes and it was 50 degree on my tbird 1.1 ghz.
    I've remove every other card (modem, network, sound)and I still have the same problem. What makes me believe that the problem is the video card is the fact that i've put one of my friend g-force in my computer, and with it I have never experienced the problem (and i ran 3dmark2001 3 times in a row. Sadly,as soon as I put back the Radeon in, I get a shut down again.
    In addition of that, my screen sometimes flickers since 2 weeks, jump up and down a few millimeters, plus I have more laggy performance lately.

In your opinion is it motherboard related or vid card related ?

Thanks

my hardware:
    Win ME
    MSI K7T
    Tbird 1.1 Ghz
    300 watt power supply
    radeon 64 meg DDr vivo 7115 drivers
    aureal sq2500
    D-link ethernet card
    Ati TV-Wonder
    Mag XJ700T monitor

Athlon64 4800+
    Asus A8N deluxe
    2 gig munchkin ddr 500
    eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
    X-Fi Fatality
    HP w2207

I'm no expert, but I'm guessing it's either a power problem or a motherboard problem.

Comment

jackzod, it very well could be a thermal issue, not with the cpu, but with the Radeon.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I'd RMA it (the Radeon), just to be sure.

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Have you tried another card to see if the prob goes away. Check the cpu fan is working as it maybe a heating problem.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Thanks to all

i would be very surprised that it would be a power supply issue, I have a nice (and expensive) 300 watt power supply in, but still possible that the problem lie there, but gfarce tend to suck a lot of power and i don't have this problem with my friend's gforce.

Heat on the radeon, could well be it, I'll try to underclock the card to see if it fades away

Thanks all
            Athlon64 4800+
            Asus A8N deluxe
            2 gig munchkin ddr 500
            eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
            X-Fi Fatality
            HP w2207

Comment

Try other cards than your friend's GeForce as well if you can, best would be other radeons - and maybe try your friend's power supply...

AZ

Comment

thanks Az

Thi afternoon im goin to try it on a different mobo, and with a different Power supply too.
                BTW underclocking the card did nothing, so I don't think I have an heat issue with the radeon.(bad core maybe)

I'll keep you informed.

[This message has been edited by jackzod (edited 18 June 2001).]
                Athlon64 4800+
                Asus A8N deluxe
                2 gig munchkin ddr 500
                eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
                X-Fi Fatality
                HP w2207

Comment

PIT - he tried a friend's GF, and it worked

AZ

Comment

Here's an update:
                    1) i got my mobo changed for a new one (the seller is a personal friend ) ----> still the same problem
                    2) I tried with his power supply (330 watt)and processor ----> still problem
                    3) I add his ram, and OH! it works, note here that in the last few days I had instance where i could run the benchamrk a few time without crashing (rare but it did happen). It was too late yesterday to do some more benching
                    4) I tried with each one of my ram stick (crucial) to see if there was one more faulty than the other ---->both crash

So that leave me with two possible origin of the problem (I've ruled out processor, power supply, motherboard, other pci and heat).
                    It's either the memory or video card...
                    Since now with a geforce (my friend one) I had no crashing and with my friend ram too.
                    So I'm goin to buy a stick of ram and try it, if its still crashing, there will only be the radeon possible...
                    Athlon64 4800+
                    Asus A8N deluxe
                    2 gig munchkin ddr 500
                    eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
                    X-Fi Fatality
                    HP w2207

Comment

Well its not the memory...
                      Time for RMA
                      Athlon64 4800+
                      Asus A8N deluxe
                      2 gig munchkin ddr 500
                      eVGA 7800 gtx 512 in SLI
                      X-Fi Fatality
                      HP w2207

Comment

I wouldn't have thought it was the memory, unless it was mixed Crucial versions (that can make a difference).
                        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                        X