Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting a new soundcard too - need advice :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a new soundcard too - need advice :)

Hi everybody

I'm getting myself a new system, which will be built around an MSI K7T Turbo, which unfortunately uses the VIA KT133A/686B combo..

I am planning to get a new soundcard, too, it should feature not too bad sound quality, EAX and A3D, all this under Win2K, and should not be too expensive. I don't really want to buy a creative soundcard, and I can't buy a philips one, since they aren't sold here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

What about that Hercules Game Theater XP? I don't know much about it except I see some going to that card to avoid or solve sound woes with that combo.
    MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
    Matrox P
    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
    LianLiPC70

Comment

Thanks

The XP is a bit too pricey for my taste, I don't need the breakout box, and it won't run under win XP (what's that? "My XP won't run under XP"), which I'll maybe upgrade to...

I have a question though... is EAX/A3D only useful with a four speaker config, or does it have additional benefits, or do some games even NEED those? If they won't apply for two speakers, they're both not an issue, which leaves only Win2K compatibility, sound quality and price to consider

AZ

Comment

At this point, I'd recommend either the Philips Acoustic Edge (which I'm currently testing), or the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

Both can be had for between $75 and $100. Philips has in its favor that it puts all sounds to all channels (so you get faux surround even from stereo signals), but Turtle Beach is known for higher quality drivers.

6 of 1, half a dozen of the other. The Game Theater has notable drawbacks... some skipping and distorted sound, problems with media player in SMP mode, and no WinXP support.

- Gurm

------------------
        Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Unfortunately, I don't think Philips soundcards are available in Germany, and I can't find any Turtle Beach either...

AZ

Comment

The only cards I find for sale here are Creative, Terratec (I'd be interested in them, especially the new SixPack 5.1), Hoontech, and some Hercules and Videologic... (and ABit - haven't heard a single thing about their cards, but wouldn't really trust them )

AZ

Comment

A3D sounds pretty good with just a pair of surround speakers (Vortex2 owner here), so if you weren't going to use Win2K a Vortex2 would've been the perfect choice.

Why not get the SB Live! 5.1 ? or if you have something against Creative (like many current and ex Aureal card owners have) the Hercules Gamesurround Fortissimoâ„¢ II ? (they're about the same price)

Comment

I don't want a SB Live, since a) I'm using the VIA 686B, b) I've heard of creatives not-so-great drivers, and c) I don't like them

Has anyone here had any experience or heard anything about newer Terratec cards? I'm especially interested in the SixPack. The specs look good, it's cheap enough (under 100 Euro), available in germany, and I like the name *LOL

AZ

Comment

Since Gurm is mentioning me specifically i think i will give some input too. How about Terratec? They are usually on par with Creative (which isn't saying much) and most times even better (at least in the high end arena...)

After i kicked my SB PCI128 - you simply don't get any decent drivers for this piece - i returned to an old Maestro 96/16 card of them (ISA...) and i am happy again. After all, Terratec is still providing new drivers for this card.

So, if not too cheap, not too expensive is in the 100-200 DM range, try the DMX. I recall the CT judging it as mediocre to good (lots of +, few ++)

[Edit 2: Just noticed... isn't today the day? LOL ]

Regards

[This message has been edited by Six Of One (edited 19 June 2001).]

Comment

need... more... input...

AZ

Comment

There are no good cheap soundcards. Go to www.3dsoundsurge.com and check out their sound card reviews as well as their links to other soundcard reviews.
                      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

If you're interested in high-quality sound in any way, DON'T get a Creative!!
                        Although I have a VIA board (ABit KT7-RAID) running mainly Win2k, I still don't have much of the frequently reproted problems with Creatives drivers (other than the unability to get DolbyDigital AC3 out ).
                        BUT the SBLive has the worst sound-quality of any soundcard I ever heard, there's so much hum/static and bad dynamic range - it even has noise on the digital out!
                        OK, up to now I only had acces to a cheap Terratec card, an Aureal-based one (don't know the model, it was a friends card) and the Terratec EWX 24/96. Still, if you're into hifi-sound, get the latter - however I don't know how good its Win2k drivers are, nor do I know about it's gaming/EAX/A3D capabilities.

[This message has been edited by Indiana (edited 19 June 2001).]
                        But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                        My System
                        2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                        German ATI-forum

Comment

The videologic card uses the same chip as the Santa Cruz, GTXT and the Terratec if I'm not mistaken(Cirrus Logic Crystal 4630). Personally I replaced my Vortex 2 card with a Videologic Sonicfury because of problems in Win2K(ie no sound, no drivers support any more from Aureal).
                          The EAX is excellent, although i think sounds better under Win9X than Win2K with 2 speakers. A3D2 is not supported under this chip only A3D1 which is not really that good.
                          Also with the Videologic card you get an excelent software bundle, which is nice .

Comment

Working...
                          X