Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the BX 133 Raid compatible with Tualatin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the BX 133 Raid compatible with Tualatin?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Supports Intel Coppermine T CPU</font>

http://www.abit.com.tw/english/downl...bios-bx133.htm
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Tualatin != Coppermine T

however, I'm not sure what the exact difference is between the two.

I _guess_ that the Coppermine-T is the same as Tualatin but with a 0.18 micron die instead of the Tualatin that has a 0.13 micron die. Though it's cool to see that the BX chipset still supports the latest versions of the PPro core .... maybe I'll get another upgrade someday for my already ancient motherboard

Comment

I think the information's wrong. Sure rumor has it that the classic BX chipset could support the new "Tualatin" Coppermine processor, but I don't think that holds up. It probably depends on whether your motherboard can provide 1.3 to 1.5v to the CPU. (Can't remember exact voltage for Tualatin) And whether Abit is really willing to spend months of development in adding the microcode to the BIOS for support. If it can go that low and they support, then it might be able to do it. But then again, if it can do it, why release new chipsets to support the Tualatin anyway? I think the informations wrong. They might be talking about the Coppermine "D" id CPU instead.

This is speculation by me, by the way. I don't have a Tualatin to experiment on afterall.

J1NG

Comment

Personally I've got no doubt that the Tulatin will run on a lot of BX based boards.
        Well from a voltage point of view, but there is one thing people are over-looking.
        The Tulatin has a 133 FSB, the BX chipset is only rated to 100mhz - to run one you're over-clocking the chipset.
        Sure it will run, the question really should be how reliably!!
        It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
        Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

On the other hand, it´s amazing to see the longevity some Intel-based motherboards have. Some people are even running celerons II@9xx Mhz on 1.0 BH6´s!!!

What is more curious is that for each new cpu Intel launch, they have to introduce some new stupid voltage protocol. It may work in older boards, but it´s not guaranteed. In that way they could sell a whole bunch of new chipsets, right? Coppermine-T not working on i810 would be bad enough, but not working on older i815 chipsets is almost offensive for people who have bought these boards.

Comment

I'm really hoping that the bx can run that Tualatin chip even if the agp will be o/clocked!

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">And whether Abit is really willing to spend months of development in adding the microcode to the BIOS for support</font>
              Adding the microcode is a question of very little time.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">And whether Abit is really willing to spend months of development in adding the microcode to the BIOS for support</font>
              Most BX motherboards have a PCI/4 devider implemented into the BIOS (the chipset supports it), so at 133MHz you're only overclocking the AGP bus (89Mhz in stead og 66MHz). I've been running such a setup for the last couple of months (Coppermine 700 @7x133Mhz), and never had the slightest instability problem. Tests done by others indicate that the BX chipset itself can run stable to around 150MHz.. though at that speed the PCI and AGP bus are far out of spec.

Core voltage is a question that depends on the mobo itself. My Abit BX mobo has got 1.3v - 2.3v VCC support

Comment

http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q2/010612/index.html

I usualy dont read what tom say couse his site is as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike but this cought my eye on another site!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">HOT! An Early Look At The New Pentium III
                (Tualatin or Coppermine-T?)
                </font>
                According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

the only problem to the BX133 running the Tualatin chip should be the voltage. I know that they will do 1.5v happily enough and i believe they'll go lower but i dont have any intel boards now so i cant check.
                  The BX133 board, although based on the std BX was designed to do 133mhz easily hence the 133 in the name.
                  If intel were thinking straight they would come out with a version of the BX that has a 1/2 divider for the agp bus. The BX chipset is so much nicer than the following chipsets that it makes no sense not to do it. Every BX board i have owned has happily run at 138 or more as long as the graphics card can mange the 90+ AGP speed which a G400 certainly will.
                  1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
                  Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
                  Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

Working...
                  X