Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All your SubSeven Zombies are belong to GRC!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All your SubSeven Zombies are belong to GRC!

I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the Soap Box forum, so Moderators can feel free to relocate.

Some of you might have noticed about Web Security Guru Steve Gibson being on the wrong end of a concentrated Denial of Service attack.
    He's just posted up a complete description of what, who why and most interestingly, How.
    Interesting read for anyone as Nerdy as I :-)

http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm

Even more interestingly, he found that the zombies in question tend to slip straight past the BlackIce Defender personal Firewall. Freebie Zone Alarm stops it dead
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Steve Gibson spreads unnecessary hysteria better than anyone else.

Comment

Sorry, but calling that 'unneccesary hysteria' is exactly the 'head in the sand' attitude of most ISP's and only helps these idiot hackers continue their childish games.

This is a great article and anyone who doesn't download Zonealarm or some other protection afterwards has got their head up their --- .

[This message has been edited by Laurie (edited 11 June 2001).]
      Laurie
      ======

Comment

I must have my head up my ___

AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
        AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
        Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
        Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Laurie, I read that article and all of his past mass hysteria ones and must agree with fds! Many of us have some form of protection and this has been discussed in this forum many times in the past.

BTW Watch your verbage please!
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Forgot to add one thing... there are many elderly peeps out there whom use the internet occasionally, they are not interested in the technical aspects of the internet and when they read 'Ol Stevie's hype, flat out get wierded out!

This happened to a friend of mine a week ago who has been happly married for 59 years. She didn't know about firewalls or how to protect herself. But I wouldn't call that "head in the sand" or has her head up her ***!

Got it?! Good.
            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Maybe he's paranoid and can scare uninformed people, but hey, better safe than sorry. I'd rather have someone running ZoneAlarm then having them get some stupid worm or something.
              Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
              Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Problem is ZA doesn't protect you from all instances like he leads those whom are uninformed to believe and it won't work on all setups.

SG is like the fool who cries FIRE in a crowded theater!

Comment

Look Greebe, if you wanna be sorry that's fine with me... I'd rather be safe (or at least semi-safe).
                  Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Impact... I have a network and a firewall, if you wanna put your foot in your mouth, that's fine with me too.

Comment

What does being American have to do with anything? Do you think that Americans are, on the average, dumber than you guys over the water? Do you think that we are just so self consumed that we can't make informed decisions about what risks we are taking and which are not worth taking?

You sure can be mean sometimes.

Rags

[This message has been edited by Rags (edited 12 June 2001).]

Comment

Impact, nor do I have cable broadband now... just a Verizon ADSL 1.5m/384k user.

But since you can't keep things in perspective... boink

[This message has been edited by Greebe (edited 12 June 2001).]

Comment

I tell you what. I will post up my IP on my system that is NOT CONNECTED TO ANY FIREWALL whatsoever. And I will see if your superior European intellect can get into my machine. You up to the challenge, smart guy?

Rags

Comment

Expect some attachments in your mail called 'Solution for nVidia's 2D image quality', 'ATI 100% functional drivers' and such

Comment

Err unless a post has been deleted I can't see anyone slagging Americans off. Whos upset you Rags?
                              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X