Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A7V133 + 1G Thunderbird = no go!

Sorry... I am little frustrated.

I installed 1G Thunderbird with Super Orb on A7V133. First, it booted... and on BIOS setup screen, it was frozen.

OK... reboot.
    No go... I don't get that 1 beep sound... Although computer powers on...

It is on default setting...JumperFree...

Help me out please....

OCP Certified Oracle 8i DBA.

Epox K8HA+ w/ AMD Athlon XP 1700+, 512 MB SamSung DDR 2100, 2 X IBM 40G 7200 rpm HD, Soundblaster Live! Audigy MP3+, Matrox Parhelia-512 128MB, Pioneer 16X DVD-ROM, Plextor 16X10X40 CD-RW, SamSung 900NF monitor, Lian-Li Aluminum PC Case.

is the plastic protector film still on the HS pad?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Plastic on the CPU? I didn't remove anything. It was OEM...
      The surface looked like a shiny metal, so I applied some thermal compound, and put the fan on...

Should I remove something?... Come to think of it, on the first boot up, it smelled like plastic was burning... D**n....

I am the first-time user of AMD, can you please explain me in detail some important stuff that I have to look out?

Thank you very much for the prompt reply... I really appreciate it...

Epox K8HA+ w/ AMD Athlon XP 1700+, 512 MB SamSung DDR 2100, 2 X IBM 40G 7200 rpm HD, Soundblaster Live! Audigy MP3+, Matrox Parhelia-512 128MB, Pioneer 16X DVD-ROM, Plextor 16X10X40 CD-RW, SamSung 900NF monitor, Lian-Li Aluminum PC Case.

Comment

On the HS. Many of us have noticed this... and it's a must remove!
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

Thanks!!!!

I am at work now, so I will try to remove the plastic on HS when I get home...

Thanks a bunch!!!

You guys are always helpful!!!

Comment

Well lets just hope that's it!

Comment

Hello, folks...

I am still struggling with my Thinderbird...

I checked the HS, and I couldn't find a pad on it. It is just shiny...

I tried to scrap the surface, but nothing is coming off...

Tried again and no POST...

There is no beep sound... Did I fry my CPU? or motherboard?

This is so frustrating...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Comment

If you don't have another system to check this on return both MB and cpu to the seller for checkout.

I hope you used HS compound between the cpu and HS or that could cause failure also.

Comment

You may need to clear the cmos and load setup defaults, this happened tp me one time before
                  System 1:
                  AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                  Epox 8K7A
                  2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                  an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                  SBLIVE 5.1
                  Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                  IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                  Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                  3Com Hardware Modem
                  Teac 20/10/40 burner
                  Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Here is little update, disappointing...

I went back to the store, and they tested the CPU with another board, and it didn't boot... Tested the A7V133 with another CPU, working fine...

Since they don't have 1G CPU in stock, I have to wait for 1-2 days to get it. This is frustrating... The CPU died on me in 2 seconds.

I also tried to clear the CMOS, but there is no jumper setting to clear the CMOS... This seems little absurd...

Now, I am trying to get as much information possible to overclock my Thunderbird. Changing the multiplier, FSB, voltage setting... Does anyone know where to look for this information? All I know until now is to close all L1 bridges with pencil.

Any information will be appreciated...

Thank you very much...

Comment

Check your MB manual, or download one if you don't. ASUS has solder points you have to jumper with either small screwdriver or paper clip. Pull power cord out to be on safe side here. "CLRTC" marks the spot on my A7M.

Since last December, it seems to be an occasion to find L1 bridges cut at all.
                      Check here for what to look for.
                      Alternate methods.
                      Pricey, but neat.

If the heat sink isn't installed right, you will fubar a CPU in seconds. Not saying you did, but <A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions.htm" TARGET=_blank>
                      check here</A> to review the process. Not saying you have to use their stuff, but it is a good step by step procedure. If your unsure, do a test install with your HSF and remove it to see what kind of job you did.

[This message has been edited by SCompRacer (edited 11 June 2001).]
                      MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                      Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                      512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                      Matrox P
                      X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                      LianLiPC70

Comment

Finally! I got my replacement CPU...

I have a question... I know it is multiplier locked... But, with default setting, it seems to run at 7.5X133. I thought Thunderbird 1G will run at 10X100.

Am I wrong? In this case, how am I supposed to overclock it without touching the L1 bridge?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Comment

The MB set's the multiplier, since yours supports a FSB of 266 (mem 133) this would be 7.5x or rather 3.75x266.

Comment

OK...
                            Let me get this clear...

My CPU seems to be locked at 7.5 multiplier setting, and the default FSB seems to be 133, which gives 1 GHz.

Now, should I increase FSB up to 266 to overclock my CPU? It doesn't seem to go up to 266 though...

The only feasible way seems to be unlocking the CPU...

Can anyone recommend some settings that I should follow? or an informative website would be better!

I love my new 1G CPU, but let me overclock it further...

Comment

The FSB on your MB is 266. That makes the multiplier on the cpu 3.75. Most get this wrong by claiming it's at 133 hence you think it's at 7.5.

Did you understand that?

It's basically... 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Comment

Working...
                              X