Comp keep rebooting, Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comp keep rebooting, Why?

I have a year old computer with Athlon Slot A 850mhz non-oc'ed and Abit KA7 mb. It was running perfectly until a few days ago when it started to reboot constantly. It never completely boots to windows98 and half of time wont even reboot to cmos screen. I suspected that maybe the heatsink grease has been dried out and cause the cpu to overheat so I reapplied Arctic Silver on the cpu/cache chips/heat plate/big block GlobalWin VOS-32 and the sucker still reboots. Lowered the memory setting and it didnt help either. I am also thinking maybe the 300w powersupply is getting low on juice so Ill replace the ps tomorrow to see if it stops the constant rebooting.

What other reason do you guys think is cause the problem?

yeah - I'd say it's your power supply...

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

or it's not sitting in the slotA correctly, I've had this happen to me on several occasions. But still get that PS checked out.
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Replaced a new Powersupply and the problem continues. The cpu is not snuggly plugged in because the plastic casing has been removed so I could put a GFD on it. I have pushed the cpu in as far as I can and rock the cpu forward and backward but that didnt help. With the constant rebooting, something is definitly overheated. The motherboard, chipset, memory chips are at fault? Time to build a new computer I think..

Comment

It couldn't hurt to take a look at the RAM. If you have more than one DIMM in there, take all but one out, and see if it continues. Then replace the DIMMs until you hit upon one that gets you rebooting again.

If you only have one stick of RAM in there, try a stick from another computer, for testing.

Jord.
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Sounds like a computer "virus" called ABIT! Had the sameprob here at work the other day with one of our demo computers switched mobo and everything was back to normal!

EDIT Went from ata-100 to ata-66

[This message has been edited by Guru (edited 14 June 2001).]
            According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

SH, you got mail
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Guru:
                Sounds like a computer "virus"</font>
                Sounds to me like it sure wouldn't hurt to check your computer for viruses.

Here is details on a nasty virus called Masgistr that I cleaned out of a friend's system not 3 days ago.

http://www.datafellows.com/v-descs/magistr.shtml
                ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by 2Whyzzi:
                  Sounds to me like it sure wouldn't hurt to check your computer for viruses.

Here is details on a nasty virus called Masgistr that I cleaned out of a friend's system not 3 days ago.

http://www.datafellows.com/v-descs/magistr.shtml
                  </font>
                  Thank you for the info. My only problem is I cant get the computer booted completely to do a virus scan.. Any suggesions on how?

Comment

Boot off of floppy or CD. Doesn't sound like a virus if you can't go through POST. You might want to reflash your BIOS to make sure its in good shape.
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                    X