Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multiple graphics cards under win2k

Hi Guys,

I've just upgraded my PC at work to Windows 2000 and I want multi monitor to work. I have a Matrox G200 in the AGP slot (primary card) and an S3 Virge DX in a PCI slot. Under windows 98se I have two desktops fine but in win2k I've got an exclamation mark on the S3 card - This device cannot start. (Code 10). I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the card... still no joy.

Any ideas?

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

The S3 Virge is not supported for multimonitor under win2k.

Rags

Comment

Ah crap! I'll have to find another PCI card from somewhere then.... odd how it works in win98 though.

On another note - what do S3 run their web server off?!? it is hardly EVER running!

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve

Comment

under these circumstances i'd just get a g450 dh

AZ

[EDIT]ECC [/EDIT]

[This message has been edited by az (edited 04 April 2001).]
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Yep, the videocard/chipset and the drivers have to be multimonitor aware.

Some work, others don't. If the drivers don't say they are Win2K multimonitor compliant, then they likely aren't.

Win9x handles devices very differently, and will allow practically any combination of video cards.

Another option for you would be to get a Matrox G200 PCI.

Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Nah - I'll downgrade my brother's machine to a S3 Savage and put the G450 in my work PC.

------------------
            Cheers,
            Steve

Comment

I FOUND A SOLUTION!!!!

Finally a way to get these barstard cards to work in multimonitor. Simply set your primary card in the bios to PCI, win2k will ignore it and keep your other card as primary, but the S3 will magically work this way. Hope it helps someone.

Rags

Comment

AZ, SteveC is a Matrox beta tester and knows that (not his question either).
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks Greebe.

By the time I posted this I didn't know that, neither did I notice the huge number of his posts - I just thought this might help.

No need to bash me now

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                  X