Fastest browser I've ever seen.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fastest browser I've ever seen.

I wasn't really sure where to post this, but I thought the "General" public might like to hear it. I installed the latest Mozilla (0.9), which is supposed to have a huge performance boost over 0.8/0.81. And the latest Galeon release.

Wow this is fast. I admit that I haven't used Opera, but this is the fastest I've seen anything go. Beats out IE5 on my system.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Yes, it's fast but the adblocking function is broken.
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

It's broken? I don't know, I already have it running through a junkbuster proxy.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Build 2001060104 might have the problem that you have to open a second moz to get to your bookmarks, but it's bitching fast, and I don't have the memory leak any longer !!

After posting I see the dual adverts for 2 seconds, then I'm off to the thread I posted in again, which loads within 4 seconds...

IE, try that !! LOL

Jord.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

P.S: All this on a normal phone-modem
          Jordâ„¢

Comment

Cool, I was gonna wait until 1.0 to download it again, because I'm using Milestone 18. Guess it's worth getting now then.
            Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
            Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Yup latest Mozilla nightlies are realy fast. I also miss the working add blocking and Bookmarks menu. Mozilla is also very good with managing cookies and passwords. I only use Mozilla for some months now. This is going to be an wasome browser.

------------------
              Live long and prosper!
              Live long and prosper!

Comment

Reading this I just grabbed the latest nightly build (2001060116) and I'm not particularly impressed.

It still has the sluggish and bloated feel, and a rough and slow user interface.

New pages don't load any faster than in IE5.01 (at least on my ADSL). Maybe it has a small edge over IE when it's displaying a page from cache.

I hope it performs better in Linux, haven't tried there yet, but as it is, I kind of prefer Konqueror even there.

Mozilla has some nice ideas and a few parts of it shine, although as a whole it's badly executed.

Comment

I'm running WinXP Beta2. IE6 loads in less than a second.

1ghz P3, 512mb RAM, Cheetah 10k might have something to do with it

Comment

The double bug I told you about above has been solved as well

Jord.

[This message has been edited by Jorden (edited 04 June 2001).]
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

isochar:
                      It has to do something with a fact that WinXP prelodes almost all parts of IE even before you run it.

Jorden:
                      Yup it looks like it's fixed
                      Live long and prosper!

Comment

Sorry chaps,
                        I have downloaded both
                        Mozill and Opera and am not impressed with either. Opera doesnt display all web pages correctly (could be driver issue though) and
                        Mozilla just seems bloated. Maybe I will give them all a thorough testing this week.
                        Maybe its because I use IE 5.0 at work that I have acclimatized myself to its look and feel but it still seems like the best browser out there.

regards MD
                        Interests include:
                        Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Comment

Mozilla, bloated and slow....

Whats he using?, a 286?

I'm still using build 20010323 (8.1) and its blazing fast compared to the IE versionb thats comes with W2K..
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I was using a measly P3-500 MHz with 384 megs. Granted that's a miserable excuse for a machine nowadays, IE still runs nicely while Mozilla has this bloated/laggy feel.

Very pronounced in the settings dialog box. That's just terrible.

A thumbs up though for its ability to display most pages just about fine. Other than Microsoft's website (which is to be expected), the only page in my bookmarks which looked seriously messed up is <a href="http://appsr.intel.com/scripts-df/Filter_Results.asp?strOSs=19,22&strTypes=DRV&Produ ctID=182">this one at Intel</a>.

Comment

I used to use Netscape for my browser until I had to develop to MSFT platforms. Then I switched to IE, OE and the rest of Bill's Bytes. MSFT is only one of the many sites that you won't be able to use properly if you're not using IE. I don't know why you fight it? Its the same reason I use Windows versus OS/2 or such. MSFT has the widest compatibility for most of the work/play we do on PCs ... like it or not. I'm just glad I don't have to contribute any money to Bill to use his stuff.
                              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                              X