Is there a better Defragment Program?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a better Defragment Program?

silly question I know; but I defrag fairly frequesntly due to the excessive useage my drives get.

Is there a "better" defrag prgrm. I am using Ontrack's Fix-It utilities defrag program....but I notice that if I try to use the windows propietary defragger it takes much longer to defrag. Then when I tried to use a different defragger (McAfee Until's Defragger) it took forever to defrag again. Do these programs use different systems of defragging and are not compatible with each other; hence the initial looongg time to defrag?

Anyways; which one would you guys recommend?

Try Diskeeper 6.0.

Also try Norton Speed Disk. But you can only get Norton SpeedDisk in the Norton Utilities suite(or Norton System Works, which includes Norton Utilites)
    Primary system specs:
    Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

Comment

Have you considered using a better FS? What OS and FS are you currently using?
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I am using win98se (don't laugh); but what is "FS"?

Comment

FS is the acronym for File System. Hopefully you're using FAT32. What are your partition and volume sizes? Advanced FSes such as, cough cough, NTFS and NTFS5 are better at managing allocations and preventing fragmented volumes. If you're using FAT16 on Win98SE then you need the best defragmenter you can find and you need to run it quite often.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

O&O

Comment

I use Norton Speed Disk for FAT32 partitions. For NTFS, Diskeeper 6.0 uses the Micorosoft recommended defrag procedure. If I want a really clean defrag I'll run Norton Speed Disk, then Diskeeper. But I'm wierd like that.

------------------
              ]@/\/\/\/\|Ø\0©|&lt;

Athlon 650
              256 MB PC133 CAS3 from Crucial
              87 GB storage from WD & IBM
              Matrox G400 (it's not dead yet!)
              SB Live! the original full retail, still going strong
              Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400, the PC speakers that goes BOOM!
              Please email me if you would like to contribute to the "Jammrock needs new toys" fund.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

O&O!!

esp. under win2k.

Rags

Comment

yes it is fat32....I will try norton speed disk.

but it is still weird how when I defrag with one program and then defrag with a second program; the second program reads the harddrives as not having been defragged at all.

I know it is weird that I do this but I am curious as to why there is not a standard to defragging; or at least why different programs think drives have not been defragged to all even though they have been. The result of this is that the second defrag program will take almost an hour or 2 to defrag the already defragged drive. Needless to say I do not this often (or almost ever) because of this side effect.

[This message has been edited by dancray (edited 06 June 2001).]

Comment

Will O&O work on Win98SE??

amish
                    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

dancray, what you may be experiencing is defrag programs with different file sorting mechanisms. Ie one sorts by name and the other sorts by access date or some such.
                      That could account for the long defrag times, when one program is rearranging all the files.

Kim

Edit: Spelling

[This message has been edited by Sisyfos (edited 06 June 2001).]
                      P5B Deluxe, C2D E6600, Scythe Ninja, G.Skill 2GBHX
                      Raptor 150x3, Plextor PX-760SA, X-Fi Elite, 7900GT, 21" CM813ET Plus, CM Stacker

Comment

Electric Paul: No.
                        FREE Defragmentation Tool for Windows NT 4 and Windows 2000!

Jord.
                        Jordâ„¢

Comment

O&O...never heard of it. I'll check it out. How does it compare to Norton and Diskeeper?

Jammrock
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I like it better than Norton, haven't gave diskkeeper a try though.

Rags

Comment

yikes...but is only for win2k/nt...not for win98se?

Comment

Working...
                              X