Restrictions in IE 5.5???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restrictions in IE 5.5???

Weird little annoyance that I can't solve....

I cannot open a new window in IE 5.5 in either the File menu or using Ctrl-N. I get a message saying that "the action cannot be completed due to restrictions in effect on this computer", and I should contact my system administrator.

I think it used to work when I originally re-installed IE 5.5 after my OS rollback. I clearly tweaked something, but I have not a clue what it might be.

Here's the specs:

Browser: IE 5.50.4522.1800 installed separately

Installed tweak utils: TweakUI, x-Setup, and the normal complement of Windows' own cpls. I also used to have WinBoost2K installed but I uninstalled it. I assumed the uninstall reversed my settings back to default, but I suspect I could be wrong.

Anybody know where I might find the elusive setting that's being a PITA? I have no other problems when using IE but that.

Thanks!

-----------------------------
    Holly

Goto your root directory and look for windows update setup files folder and see if there is the setup for IE 5.5 there, if it is run it.

Rags

Comment

Thanks, Rags, but no effect.

Comment

Holly, uninstalling WinBoost does NOT reverse the settings to the default. You have to reinstall WinBoost and then reverse to Factory Defaults from WinBoost itself. Then remove it.

Hope that this is the root to the problem.

------------------
        Seth, are you ok ?
        I`m peachy, Kate. The world is my oyster.
        Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

I thought that might be the case, omegaRED, but reinstalling WinBoost and reverting to default settings had no effect but to (of course) change all my icons back to default and erase my config.sys and autoexec.bat entries (!!!!)

I have bowed to the inevitable and installed Mozilla 9.1, which-- after an hour of importing, exporting and tweaking-- is working fine. And it sure is fast. And it ain't MS.

So I guess I'll stick with it for the time being.

Thanks, though, both of you.

----------------------------
          Holly

Comment

Well, if you are using another browser, i would suggest you try Opera 5.11. It`s unbelievably fast, very compact (~10Mb including Java) and has low mem usage.

Sorry i couldnt help more.

------------------
            Seth, are you ok ?
            I`m peachy, Kate. The world is my oyster.
            Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

Comment

Working...
            X