Defraggin a RAID0 array

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defraggin a RAID0 array

Stupid question time: can you defrag a RAID0 array just as if it were a normal HD? This is my first RAID array, and it hasn't been defragged yet, and I dont want to lose 50GB worth of stuff.

Bart
    Bart

Sointenly! But I like to back up the data before defragging because I just don't trust those things ... especially if you happened to lose power or such during the process.
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

It works fine and it is fast!
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Xortam, that's what UPS's are for.
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Is that pronounced Oops!? Yeah, I should get me one some day, especially living here in the dim Valley. I bought them for the servers at the office but never bothered with other than surge protectors at home. Haven't had a problem yet. Boy!!! I had really better go out and buy one now. BTW, I wanted to ask you about something ... I'll be back with a link concerning this side topic in a bit ...
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Here it is ... "Voltage-reduction project may stave off blackouts". I read this last night and was wondering if an UPS would boost the voltage level for me. As I recall, UPS simply switched over to batteries when there is a loss of power and surge protectors protected you from spikes and line conditioners took care of small variances. I know that some UPSs ship with all three elements. What do you recommend? I seem to recall that an UPS should handle brownouts.

Note: I don't know how long the linked article will remain available.

Comment

Come on, The Rock, there are no stupid questions.

I was guilty once too of having much invested in a PC and having only a power strip. Have had an APC UPS for a couple of years now. Got one big enough to run my PC and monitpr for 17 minutes, plenty of time to save what your doing if your there at the time, or it will shut down automatically after a power failure if your not.

Can hear the thing kick in and out every now and then. Or you can check the log if you like to see whats been going on.
              MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
              Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
              512MB regular Crucial PC2100
              Matrox P
              X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
              LianLiPC70

Comment

A real UPS runs off of batteries all the time therefore there isn't any switching (cept the DC to AC coverter). Most UPS's today are SPS's (Standby Power Supply) which switch to batteries when a power failure is detected.
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

So is an APC UPS going to help me out with the reduced line voltages?

Comment

Maybe I should ask this in a new thread.

Comment

Damn, now I need a UPS!! I swear you guys are part of some evil conspiracy to make me spend more on my machine; damn you all. Considering I've "upgraded" my machine to the tune of about $2000 in the last year, I probably SHOULD own one though.

Bart
                      Bart

Comment

"UPS on battery: Large Momentary Spike 130.0"
                        "Normal Power restored: UPS On Line."

Goes to battery for brownouts too.

So I don't got a real UPS?
                        MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                        Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                        512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                        Matrox P
                        X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                        LianLiPC70

Comment

No you have a Quasi UPS, a Semi UPS, The Diet Coke of UPS - Just one Battery... not UPS enough... LOL

My fiancee picked me up a Talking DR. EVIL doll at a garage sale... it only says one thing though.

"Very Well, Where Do I Begin, My Childhood was Typical, Summers in Rangoon - (It says something here like Loogeless), In the Summer We'd Make Meat Helmets."

Heh Heh..

AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                          AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                          Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                          Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

That would be "luge lessons".
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Gadzooks... I think you are right... I can kinda hear it now
                              AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                              AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                              Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                              Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Working...
                              X