Slow network connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slow network connection

Hi, i recently tried to download 300Mb of files from a LAN connected PC and it took about 30 minutes over a 10 Mbit - theoretically it should have been about 6-7 minutes.

I have a Realtek 8029(AS) cheapass NIC and i was connected to a D-Link DE-809TP and using Winroute Pro. We couldn't pinpoint the source of the problem and while the situation is now over, i would like to avoid this in the furture.

Any ideas?

Regards

Realtek based cards are POS incarnated.

Realtek chips has a tendency to be slover than the ice age.

Get a better NIC!

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Some realtek chips are used in better (than POS ) cards and aren't that bad, but yeah - I say with network cards, go Intel or 3COM.

Di you go through a hub? If so, was the collision light flashing?

Is the cable fine?

Is it slow the other way - copy files back and see the performance then. You can't get over ~7-800 KB/second.

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

I had the same problem! All you need to do is aplye a registry patch! I'll see if I can find it!
        According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I only have the patch for w2k! What OS are you using!

In my case the comp could send data at full speed but only recive at ~20% speed!
          According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Hey I found the patch for w98! What OS are you using!

Comment

I am using 98SE. Great! Thank you in advance.

Regards

Comment

Care to share some info on this reg patch?

Is it just for Realtek based cards or is it for this kind of situations?
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Six Of One, did you cut and paste the file to the other through the network neibor or did you transfer the file through ftp? I ask this 'cus I have a Realtek 8029(as) in my server and when i cut&paste files it takes for ever, but when i pass the same file through my server ftp i do between 50 and 65mb/per min. I have better performance with my realtek card than with my dlink.... that's why i still have it in my server. I was'nt expecting much of my dlink card... 'cus i bought if for 5$.

BTW. I had the 50-65mb/min with BNC cables... i consider that extremely good for a cheap card.

Spazm
                  P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

It was copy&paste (actually it was drag&drop, but i think that's the same ) and i didn't try FTP, though we were considering it. But the provider of the files is very a-technical and gets the shakes as soon he has to do something unusual. Therefore we canceled that.

ANd about Realtek being shitty: maybe so, but they are cheap and they are running within almost every computer on our LANs and others don't have this problem. Wonder why...

Regards

Comment

Possibly a virus?

That happened to my wifes laptop once (P166 Micron). Was dog slow sending files over our home network all of a sudden. Would receive OK. Turned out she had gotten a VBS/Netlog.worm.a virus.

When the virus was active, as it sent files the utilization lights on the hub would go on and off, like it was sending small individual packets. Now it stays steady when it sends a large file. What took minutes to transfer now takes seconds again.
                      MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                      Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                      512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                      Matrox P
                      X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                      LianLiPC70

Comment

Technoid it basicly optimizes the tcp/ip setings so it is for all cards!

http://personal.inet.fi/clan/setimur...e_tweak_98.zip

http://personal.inet.fi/clan/setimur...e_tweak_2k.zip

Comment

Working...
                        X