Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TFT Panel users - How do games go?

I'm currently looking at TFT panels.
    Yer I know a 17.4" TFT would set me back £1000 at least but the way I look at it, I'm not going to want to replace it for a very long time!!
    I know the technology behind TFT's has changed over the years.
    Games and fast moving graphics always used to be a bit of a problem.
    I've been to a couple of showrooms and seen a few fast moving demo's running.
    Anybody here using a TFT, what are they like for playing games?
    It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
    Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Someone shopping for a new toy?

Was the round up in PC Pro last month not any use? I seem to remember that they tested games and DVD as well as the more standard 2D qualities of the screens.

IIRC the Iiyama just about spakned everything, and as it was a 17.4" screen instead of a 18" screen like the rest, it was also a fair few quid cheaper.
    Phils PC Mods - a rough guide

Comment

Part II - failing that, write a copy of 3D Mark 2001 to a CD and take it along. Ask if you can run it on the system and see how it performs. Providing the systems the screens are attached to are reasonably quick, you should get some decent frame rates.

Or use 3D Mark 2000 which is bit less intensive.
      Phils PC Mods - a rough guide

Comment

There are several issues besides the blurring of persistent images on a TFT for gaming. You should also be aware of the lamp life and replacement cost. Cells will go out over time and each manufacturer has a policy on what is acceptable as far as dead cells for a newly purchased display (total number of dead cells and number of adjacent dead cells). I didn't even care for TFTs for 2D work because of the ghostly scrolling.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Well, from what I can see most manufacturers offer a 3 year warranty on all parts including the back lamp.
          I've seen Excel, Word, IE etc on a Samsung 18" and was impressed,
          The fact these things run at 1280x1024@85 certainly makes for a great picture.
          It was really moving graphics I was worried about.

Comment

Well if you're going to replace it in three years, have at it. I've had my CRT monitor (NEC 5FG) for over ten years and its still going strong. Play with browser scrolling and animation and see if you can be happy with it. You don't need to run those above 60 Hz for a flicker free display but you may want to pump it up for gaming.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Well, if I decided to pay £1000 for a display I'd be wanted to keep it up and running for probably more than 3 years.
              I was thinking more along the 'At least 5 years' line.

Comment

Paulr,

you might find the info here useful.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">The combination of technologies results in a display with an optical response of 300 microseconds at 180 Hz, fast enough to handle "high-quality motion picture images . . . without blurring and ghosts," NEC's Ken-ichi Takatori will report. Conventional AM LCDs have response times in the tens of milliseconds.
                </font>
                rubank

[This message has been edited by rubank (edited 30 May 2001).]

Comment

Interesting work from NEC!

There's still the issue of lamp life and cost. Another problem with LCDs is the poor black level: This can really detract from video viewing (e.g. DVDs). NEC's approach may improve black levels as well. I've always been impressed by their products. I would like to see that NEC LTPS LCD in action.

Comment

Well xortam,

IBM isn´t so bad either in this field.

Here´s something from THG in early may

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">IBM researchers have figured out a new method of producing LCD displays that not only improves display quality but is also a heck of a lot cheaper than the method that has been used for the past 20 years. Surprisingly, no one can actually explain exactly how the old method of creating LCDs works. LCDs are currently produced based on a discovery from 95 years ago, which demonstrated that when a substrate is rubbed, it forms a pattern that liquid crystals align to. Until now, the only method to reliably align the crystal molecules involved rubbing a polymer substrate with a velvet cloth. IBM’s new method uses beams of ions to align the liquid crystal molecules. IBM expects that its new process could save the LCD industry millions, and is considering licensing the patented process to other manufacturers in the $20 billion per year flat-panel display industry. Whether the process will bring down the price of LCDs or merely make the industry more profitable is a question for the gods. </font>
                    Looks like interesting products ahead.
                    Sooon

rubank

Comment

I looked into the IBM LCDs early last year. They have some very nice displays but they're very expensive. The SGI display at the time looked to be my best bet. I was looking for something that could function as a computer monitor as well as serve as an HDTV display. I needed a larger 16x9 panel but the cost and drawbacks stopped me from pursuing it further. We're getting there. The costs have come down considerably during that time and the drawbacks are being addressed. Some day ...

Comment

I have a T85D IBM 18.1 and I'm quite happy with it. Not exactly what I wanted..CRT-no blur, but it's good enough. Not anywhere near as bad as laptop displays. It's minimal enough so that I can watch TV or play CS decent enough.

Actually, I think my sniping has gone up since I got the flat panel. Everything is much more clear. I think that's due to the DVI tho'. Clarity is like night and day. Also CRT's have a problem that at high resolutions and a larger screen the corners of the screens tend to blur. Doesn't happen with digital-in monitors.

Then there's the flicker. No more worries about flicker! I normally have to set refresh rates to 100hz or I get headaches after an hour or so. Less radiation coming at you. Less space. Less heat. Less power consumption. Also less life expectancy=P

There's a trade off for everything. Got one of these off eBay for about $950+shipping. Superb for 2D, OK for 3D.

BTW, I'm using a princeton graphic systems C2100 on an AIW Radeon to compare with the IBM T85D on an AIW Radeon.

Hope it helps. Personally I would get a higher end flat panel if I had the money. And if it sounds like I'm terming everything wrong, I probably am=) Correct me if I am.

1.73TBredB@1.67(166X10)@1.6V
                        ASUS A7N8X
                        Corsair 1GB PC3200
                        Parhelia 128MB
                        EIZO L685EX

Comment

Working...
                        X