Networks ahoy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Networks ahoy

While my mind is a buzz with ideas, here is a question for you network guys.
    If and when I get RADSL (adsl is a no no i'm afraid) what would be the best way of connecting 3 pcs to a USB hub without having to keep one machine always on as a gateway? Is there a device that allows this? I am not sure if this is the realm of a router but if so, are there any out there designed for SOHO environments, i.e. cheap. Any advice would be welcome.

regards MD

------------------
    Interests include:
    Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries
    Interests include:
    Computing, Reading, Pubs, Restuarants, Pubs, Curries, More Pubs and more Curries

Yep a router is what you are looking for. The Linksys ones are very popular:
    http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...prid=20&grid=5
    Netgear, SMC and others also make these routers, designed for sharing connections - they are often labeled as "Cable/DSL router" or "Broadband router." http://www.dslreports.com will have more info.

Comment

You could also use a downclocked pentium or a 468 (which doesn't need active CPU cooling) with fli4l linux, it's a router distribution for ISDN/DSL, connecting with standard NICs, and fits on one diskette... I just see that you mention USB - why that? Also I'm not really sure what RADSL is...

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

You could also use a downclocked pentium or a 468 (which doesn't need active CPU cooling) with fli4l linux, it's a router distribution for ISDN/DSL, connecting with standard NICs, and fits on one diskette... I just see that you mention USB - why that? Also I'm not really sure what RADSL is...

AZ

Comment

Thanks chaps
          I will read up on the info you gave me.

Az,
          Rasdl is Reduced ADSL (or something like that). It is designed for people with a routing distance of greater than 4 km but less than 7 km from a digital exhange. Unfortunately for me my closest suitable exchange is 1 km but the one I am connected to is over 4 km so no ADSL and there is nothing BT can do about it. I even offered to pay for a new line. BooHoo. I have also just refused an original HP p5-60 which will now be binned. That would have been perfect but I have enough pc's in my house. As for USB. That is what BT gives you when you buy ADSL, unless you are prepared to pay 2.5 times as much for the business connection.

regards MD
          Interests include:

Comment

What? You don't connect to your (R)ADSL Modem through network cards?

AZ

Comment

RADSL is actually Rate-Adaptive DSL. It's supposed to work better over longer distances, hence the name.

If BT is giving you a USB modem, I'm afraid you can't use a router to do it. You probably can't even use an old machine to do it, because it probably won't take USB.

Comment

I too have one of those horrible usb modems, I use winroute on a 'server' pc and forward the appropriate ports

Good luck with your networking

Dan
                Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I don't think either tha fli4l supports USB, but you could always try...

AZ

Comment

If and when I get RASDL I will be using a company other than BT as my ISP. A local one Powernet provides a static IP and hopefully the option of using a router.

regards MD
                    Interests include:

Comment

As an aside, does anyone here living in the UK have their ADSL connected to a router as opposed to using the BT supplied usb modem. I have heard that some people just remove the modem and use a router.

regards MD
                      Interests include:

Comment

I believe that Demon's home offering comes in ethernet flavour instead of USB.

Now if only I lived somewhere I could actually get ADSL

------------------
                        Unreal Fortress developer

Comment

I use an NTL cablemodem - which has an RJ45....

They did offer a USB version as well...(WHY?)

I must say that it truly is the dogs doodads!

welcome to the world of high speed connection Mdhome.........

Redn
                          Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Raptor^
                            I live about a KM from a suitable digital exchange but unfortunately all the phone lines in my estate are trunked to an exchange over 4 km away. Pardon my French, but what a pisser.

As for routers, the SMC SMC7008BR
                            looks good. It even acts like a DHCP server and will allow you to use a backup modem and attach a printer. All I now have to do is find the best price

regards Michael
                            Interests include:

Comment

Well, if you can find a DSL router that is compatible with the type of equipment the ISP uses, you can forget the USB modem and hook the router directly to the line.

Comment

Working...
                              X