Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Free Email/News software recomendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Email/News software recomendations?

Can any one please recomend a good, preferably free Email/News Software?

(If any one mentions MS outlook express, I'm gonna puke..)

Thanks...
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Well Eudora "Lite" is either free or very very cheap. I personally dislike it, but hey... you can't win 'em all.

Now, Outlook 98 is free (yes, I'm serious), and for e-mail that's pretty good. I dunno if you can still download it, but if you can get a copy from someone you can use it without fear since it was (and still is) free of charge.

I personally use Gravity (from Microplanet) for news, although many prefer Agent. Free Agent is, as the name suggests, free - and good for casual (and even some heavy) use.

Gravity is cheap shareware, and perhaps the best newsreader around. As for e-mail I only use Outlook XP so I can't help you too much other than suggesting Outlook 98 or Eudora.

- Gurm

------------------
    Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Gurm, you own me a new keyboard

Thanks, for the sughestions any way..

About MS Outlook and it's different versions;

One of the regular cathastrophes clients comes with is that their MS email klient has gone "Hanibal the Canibal" and destroyed all its mails

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Any one had any bad experiences with "pegasus mail" clients?

Comment

I have yet to see a SINGLE unrecoverable mail problem with newer versions of Outlook. I trust Outlook XP, and I beat it up... HARD.

- Gurm

------------------
          Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          I would still get screwed

Comment

For email I'd suggest Pegasus Mail:

www.pmail.com

Been using it since my old Win 3.1 days. I've tried pretty much all the other main mail client around and always go back to PMail.

For newsgroups, FreeAgent is pretty straightforward.

Comment

umm... PINE?

Or if Outlook Express isn't your thing maybe you might like Internet Mail & News from IE3.0.

Comment

MS outlook express

Joel
                Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Pegasus mail is okay. It's user interface is a bit clumsy (it originally started as a DOS client and still has the DOS/win3.11 feel to it), but it's relatively easy to setup and use.

However, if your willing to pay for a shareware (or find a crack, but you really shouldn't), there is The Bat!

http://www.ritlabs.com/the_bat/index.html

which beats Outlook in almost every aspect. Download the shareware version and try it for a few days... see if you like it or not.

[This message has been edited by impact (edited 30 May 2001).]
                  Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Yeah..
                    And everytime a new version of outlook arives, the default locations for the mail files are changed....

Comment

If you don't give a rip about security, don't need alot of attachment space, and can tolerate some stupid downtimes, then I suggest that you go with your favourite webmail package (hotmail, excite, yahoo, foxtrot, etc) and use their "get pop mail" feature. This way you can get your mail from any place you can find a half decent web browser (like a friends place, a library, etc).

Can't do that with news groups though.

For newsgroups I use /* puke protection feature enabled - text blocked */, but that is only because I am lazy!

[This message has been edited by 2Whyzzi (edited 30 May 2001).]
                      ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

Comment

LOLOL
                        "For newsgroups I use /* puke protection feature enabled - text blocked */, but that is only because I am lazy! "
                        Too funny.
                        A friend of mine recommends The Bat, he has been using it for years.
                        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Working...
                        X