Spontaneous reboots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spontaneous reboots

One of the guys here at work has had put put up with his computer doing spontaneous reboots every now and then for a few weeks now, and we haven't been able to sort out why it's doing it.

Now my girlfriend's pc at home is doing it, and it's doing it about 6 times a day for her.

Both machines are running Win2k.

Does anyone know what causes this? Can faulty ram do it? I have an idea the ram in my gf's pc is on it's way out and I'm going to replace it very soon anyway, so I'm hoping that's the problem.

Here are all the details I know about the machine here at work:
    PIII-650
    128Mb Ram (I assume it's pc-133)
    Aopen mobo (can't remember exactly what model, I think AX63)
    Aopen sound card
    TNT2 m64

Full specs on my gf's pc:
    Celeron 300A @450 (haven't tested it at 300, but it's been really cold lately, so I'd imagine heat isn't a problem)
    2x64Mb pc-100 ram
    Aopen AX6B mobo
    Diamond Viper v550 8mb
    SB Live!
    Win2k Service Pack 2 installed.
    <i>Shampoo is better! I go on first and clean the hair!</i>

Athlon 700, K7V, 192Mb RAM, 32Mb G400 DH (v5.52), SBLive!, 26.4GB HDD, Win2k Pro, Actima 8xDVD, LG 32x4x4x CD-RW, CTX VL950T 19"

Go to System Properties and uncheck Reboot on error. This will at least give you a chance to see what the problem is without win2k automatically rebooting on you.

Comment

Oops. Forgot to mention that I did that yesterday morning on my girlfriend's pc, yet it still rebooted itself during the day.

Oh, I noticed in the event log that it did a dump before it rebooted itself - is there any way of getting useful info out of the dump file? I didn't look at it, but am assuming it's just a dump of physical memory or something (like a unix core file, which is useless without a debugger or something)
      <i>Shampoo is better! I go on first and clean the hair!</i>

Athlon 700, K7V, 192Mb RAM, 32Mb G400 DH (v5.52), SBLive!, 26.4GB HDD, Win2k Pro, Actima 8xDVD, LG 32x4x4x CD-RW, CTX VL950T 19"

Comment

Interesting. I can think of two things:

1 - Brownouts/line spikes. Perhaps a UPS or quality power bar is in order.
        2 - Run anti-virus scanner(s). Alot of new viruses have been released recently, perhaps you've been unlucky enough to catch one?

But, how knows? Maybe all you need to do is grab a can of compressed air and give the computers a good ... um, nevermind.

Whyzzi
        ECS K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 2100+, 512 Megs PC-3200 CAS2.5, HIS Radeon 9550/VIVO 256Meg DDR

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe C Mobile Athlon 2500+ @ 2.2GHz, 1GB PC-3200 CAS2.5, Hauppauge MCE 150, Nvidia 6600 256DDR

Asus A8R32 MVP, Sempron 1600+ @ 2.23GHz, 1 Gig DDR2 RAM, ATI 1900GT

Comment

Working...
        X