ECDC install hosed my W2K system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECDC install hosed my W2K system

Well I've buggered up my W2K SP1 system while trying to update my Adaptec ECDC SW from 3.5a to 3.5c. I can't even boot into Safe Mode. I notice the install is still installing ASPI even though W2K doesn't use it (I know, very old SW). I didn't see any warnings from Adaptec about installing this version on W2K. Anybody know how to untangle this mess? I'll start poking some more around the Adaptec knowledge base and see what I can dig up.<hr><TABLE BGCOLOR=Aqua><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Blue>^<font COLOR=Navy>ΒΆ@/\/\</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Been there, done that. Boot up with yer win2k cd, select install, then select repair when it gives you that option.
    It restores everything including the service pack.

Rags

Comment

I've got a multi-version developer CD which I understand isn't bootable. I've never been successful at a CD boot anyway but I can triple check my BIOS settings. Any other suggestions? Maybe my W2K install boot diskettes?
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I haven't found any help on the Roxio site except for a technique that may work for installing ECDC 3.5c. I'll go ahead and try a restore using the install diskettes since I haven't heard back on this. Wish me luck ...

Comment

The install diskettes gave me the repair option (after I rebuilt the diskettes since disk #4 went bad). I did a repair but it didn't improve things: I still hang during startup and Safe Mode hangs as well. Its starting to look like a reinstall. I didn't see an Adaptec service installed via the repair console. I'll go back and recheck the services yet again. Anybody have any other suggestions? BTW, this is W2K-AS.

Comment

I think I've found them ... http://support.microsoft.com/support...CH&SPR=WIN2000 . Here I go ... (this is starting to sound like a monolog).

Comment

Yay!!! ... disabling the services from the recovery console did the trick. Now I just need to remove this old Adaptec SW and I'll be good as gold. I may try that trick to install ECDC 3.5c only or I may just try the burning SW in WMP7. But tomorrow is another day ...

Comment

Working...
              X