Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• change Rez, refresh rate setting lost

Running W2k Powerdesk version 6.31

Having a problem with my G450. Everything works , except whenever I change rez, it defaults back to 60Hz refresh. Shouldn't it be remembering the last setting?

What am I missing here?

You are trying to adjust the refresh rate in the wrong way. Goto display properties/settings/advanced/monitor settings/adjust a different display mode/ and adjust the modes to your liking, save the settings for windows to use, and you should be set.

Rags

Comment

Nope. doing all that. I set up 1600 X 1200 mode at 75 Hz, save the monitor settings. Switch to 1280 X 1024 , then back to 1600 X 1200 and it comes up 60 Hz again.

Something is not getting stored or read back from the registry.

Comment

Goto add/remove programs, select Matrox Software and uninstall them. Reboot, click cancel when windows picks up your video card, then install the drivers with the setup(either 5.31 or 5.52--I prefer 5.52). I haven't had any problems customizing my modes with powerdesk since the feature was included in win2k.

Also, it's useful to post up some specifics about your system when trying to troubleshoot a problem.

Rags

Comment

W2000 SP2 installed. G450DH, Viewsonic PS790

Did the uninstall/install of 5.52, as I needed that anyhow.

Still the same problem. Simply put, when switching from one resolution to another , the last used refresh rate is not maintained, it goes back to 60Hz.

I notice the Monitor Type property sheet is not enabled (not sure if that was a problem before the reinstall).

Did a complete wipe of the Matrox settings in the registry using the Add/Remove AND the special uninstall utility.

Any ideas as to why the selected optimum refresh rates aren't sticking?

Comment

Can you do me a favor? Go to where you change your refresh rate and get a screenshot, then email it to me if you can.

I will post a screen of what you should see, I still think you are doing it in the wrong way, because I have different refresh rates set up.

You should have a monitor set in windows, if you can, go to your monitor mfrs website and get the monitor's driver (inf), and then go to device manager/monitor click on update driver and point it to the inf you just downloaded.

Rags

[This message has been edited by Rags (edited 27 May 2001).]

Comment

Lemme ask ya. How many places are there to change the refresh rate?

Settings/Advanced/Monitor/Refresh Frequency then choose.

Admittedly , I've only been doing this computer thingy for 25 years, so I may not have the full picture :----))))

Something not right, as the Monitor Property Tab, is greyed out, even though the correct monitor is shown.

Comment

Now you see, you AREN'T looking in the right place. That's the windows settings. I outlined EXACTLY where to look in my previous post. I suggest looking there and heeding what I already told you. Welcome to windows 2000.

Rags

Comment

Yes, yes. I also saved a custom monitor setting. I thought I explained I've been doing this since Bill Gates was writing "I Will Not Dip Wozniaks Hair In The Inkwell" 100 times on the blackboard

Can't we get someone else in here that has a clue?

Comment

You are the only one who is clueless. You just told me that you are setting your refresh rates using the monitor tab. It won't work with these drivers.

And to call me clueless sure shows your own ignorance. Post me a screenshot of where you are setting your refresh.

Again, it's display properties/settings/advanced/monitor settings/adjust current display mode (or adjust another display mode if you want to do modes other than the one you are using). A mode is defined by it's resolution and color depth, make sure you are setting the customization for the correct colordepth. Make sure when you get to the adjustment screen, you actually scroll down and select the refresh rate you want, even if the mode says it has that refresh rate saved already, go ahead and click on next, next, yes save my settings for windows to use. It won't forget them. You will have to do this for every logon, but if you wish to use the same settings for each logon, then simply save the settings to disk, then when you log on with your other account, just go to the same place but choose "Load customization from file" and point it to where you saved your mpr file.

EDIT:Here's what you should be seeing when doing it properly:

Rags

[This message has been edited by Rags (edited 29 May 2001).]

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Admittedly , I've only been doing this computer thingy for 25 years, so I may not have the full picture :----))))</font>
                      Maybe that's part of your problem. Welcome to the year 2001

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Lemme ask ya. How many places are there to change the refresh rate?</font>
                      Four. Three are right, one is wrong. And you chose the wrong one.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Something not right, as the Monitor Property Tab, is greyed out, even though the correct monitor is shown. </font>
                      That's the way it's supposed to be. The monitor properties can be found if you go to device manager/monitor.

Even old farts learn something new,eh?

Rags

Comment

jdavis, I think you should bear in mind that not all who post on forums or give advice are full of it.

and while your in the learning mode, please read. Specifically section 6.
                        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Listen up jdavis! You can teach an old dog new tricks ... and some of us have been at it even longer than you ... myself, for instance.
                          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Uh huh.

Thanks for all the hard work, but if you simply read my posts you would have saved yourself some time and effort.

I have no problem *changing* refresh rates from any of the areas we have discussed. None. Nada. Zero. The problem as originally stated was that they were not being remembered. They used to be.

I have many times saved custom Windows settings as you have shown. Many times. For years. Since my original Millenium. I told you that. Read carefully next time.

Clearly , I've reached the limit of the boards ability to aid in this rather simple matter. 2 bad. As the lady in the black coat says, 'GoodBye'

Comment

60 Hz huh? Gee, what could that be? I guess his arrogance will prevent him from finding out here. Its been real!
                              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                              X