X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy Abit bios request

In the latest upgrade bios for the Abit BE 6 m/b it states:

********************************* NOTE *********************************

1.Upgrade BIOS via running "RUNME.BAT" under pure DOS please.
    2.After BIOS updated, pull off the power core and then clear the CMOS data
    via jumper before restarting system please.

What the hell do they mean "pulling off the power core"....are they nuts....this is supposed to be a simple upgrade. Can someone tell me what is involved here and will I blow something up. Will I need a screwdriver??

thanks

I guess they mean 'power cord' ie disconnect your computer from the mains

You will need a screwdriver to open your case to get access to the CMOS reset jumper

Comment

and what dows a cmos jumper look like and how does one reset it....I assume the cmos thing is in the computer, not on the back or anything.

I can't believe Abit would give this kind of instruction without more detail.

[This message has been edited by dancray (edited 29 May 2001).]

Comment

It often isn't necessary to clear the CMOS data although a lot of BIOS flashing guides say you should.
        The jumper can be found in your motherboard manual. If you don't own one, you can download it in electronic .PDF form by selecting your motherboard from the list here. Please note that in the list first come Chinese manuals, then English.

Comment

thanks., I found the manual referring to discharging the CMOS. It involves physically moving the jumper from a 1-2 position to a 2-3 position.

My question is this:

does the simple action of physically moving the jumper to 2-3 and leaving it ther a few seconds (and then placing it back to original position) suitably clear the CMOS?

OR

do I need to power up while leaving the CMOS in the 2-3 jumper discharge setting?

my manual does not suitable explain this procedure.

thanks

Comment

Just leaving the jumper there will suffice, but I prefer to give it 15 seconds or so. Moving the jumper disconnects the BIOS from the battery, and lets it clear.

And I recommend always clearing the BIOS and/or resetting to defaults when you upgrade the BIOS. Bad bits can cause bad things.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Some motherboards need it, some BIOS updates need it. I never needed it until I went to version 3.4 of the MS-6321AIR. Then things were all crazy until I cleared the CMOS.

It's very little effort, and how often do you flash the BIOS anyway (well, if you're like me it's OFTEN, but then again my case is on greased rails).

- Gurm

------------------
              Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Most bios flash programs can empty cmos and most "autoexec.bat"'s that comes with bios uppdates are set to do this..
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Working...
                X