Joystick eating Joystick ports???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joystick eating Joystick ports???

My buddy has a problem with his computer, over the past 5 months the thing has ate two sound cards' joystick ports. He orginally had a POS ESS sound card that was replaced by me with a hand me down SB AWE32 sound card and now this past week he running into another joystick port problem. The joystick hes running is a Microsoft Sidewinder Pro. The game controller is reporting that it can't find it and I've deleted the SB joystick port and redected it without any incidents and I'm not getting any memory errors or sharing problems. I tried another MS joystick and its still reporting not finding the joystick. Do you think its the joystick or should I replace the sound card again?

Scott
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Three down how many more do you want to go. Replace the joystick.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

You've tried a second joystick on the SB as well, and it couldn't find the second joystick? Try another soundcard, although make sure you've uninstalled all the drivers for the other 2 soundcards.

Sounds something like the effect I have. It does find the MS Sidewinder gamepad, but not a joystick I attach to the gamepad.

Hold on, you did install the MS SW Pro drivers, didn't you?

Jord.
      Jordâ„¢

Comment

The Sidewinder Pro Joystick does haves severe problems running on modern computers.
        I've had one for years, but when i went for a 112+ bus speed on the MB, the Sidewinder pro simply couldn't cut it.
        Some of the problems encountered was : Joystick not being detected ... joystick falling out in the middle of games.
        Solution ... I went out and bought a Sidewinder precision pro which can be connected through the USB port and all my problems were gone.

Before replacing the Sidewinder Pro i tried installing all the available driver updates but nothing helped ... Microsoft even has a fix for 100+ FSB speeds ... did not help.
        Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
        incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

I was just about to suggest the same thing. Get a USB jozstick, it will make your life easier.
          Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

If it happens to be a VIA chipset motherboard, and Windows, go here for a patch that might help:

http://www.microsoft.com/Sidewinder/...ad/default.htm
            AMD K6III-450; Epox EP-MVP3G5; G400DH32; Maxtor 10gig UDMA66; 128meg PC100; Aureal SQ2500 sound; PCI Modem Blaster; Linksys 10/100 NIC; Mag 800V 19"; AL ACS54 4 speaker sound; Logitech wireless mouse; Logitech Wingman Extreme (great for lefties)

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Kosh Naranek:
              The Sidewinder Pro Joystick does haves severe problems running on modern computers.
              I've had one for years, but when i went for a 112+ bus speed on the MB, the Sidewinder pro simply couldn't cut it.
              Some of the problems encountered was : Joystick not being detected ... joystick falling out in the middle of games.
              Solution ... I went out and bought a Sidewinder precision pro which can be connected through the USB port and all my problems were gone.

Before replacing the Sidewinder Pro i tried installing all the available driver updates but nothing helped ... Microsoft even has a fix for 100+ FSB speeds ... did not help.
              </font>

That explains why it works on my brother machine and not on mine...

I LOVE the original SideWinder Pro 3D...

Best grip in the galaxy...
              If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

No need to replace the joystick, just run it in compatibility mode, as a CH Flightsick Pro or a Thrustmaster something; that's what the switch on the front is for.

1 for flightstick, 2 for thrustmaster.
                Why would I send my pants to New Jersey?

Comment

I have 2 Sidewinder GamePads daisychained. I personally believe that it is a driver problem. I have a Live! X-Gamer 5.1, previously an X-Gamer and the original Live!. In win9x I have had no problems whatsoever with the gamepads. In win2k I have had the gamepads being redetected in the middle of games, or one or both stop working, or the ol' switcheroo where gamepad one thinks it is now gamepad 2 and vice-versa. I believe it is a faulty joystick driver. Interestingly the gamepad is detected in BeOS, but only when a single pad is connected, if both are connected, it detects nothing. The linux joystick guy claims to have sorted this out with the latest linux drivers.
                  On a somewhat related note, I did a windowsupdate and it found "updated" drivers for my Live!. I currently have version 3209 installed under 2k. The "update" was 3104. I figure they are WHQL drivers, but it also said for CT4760 while I have the SB0060. Of course I chose not to install it
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Working...
                  X