Monster IBM Drives!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monster IBM Drives!

Check it out <a href="http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,5083199,00.html?chkpt=zdhpnews01">Here</a>

DJ

400GB

Comment

I'll take 2 x 400 GB, 15000 RPM, SCSI 320 drives please!

------------------
      ]@/\/\/\/\|Ø\0©|&lt;

Athlon 650
      256 MB PC133 CAS3 from Crucial
      87 GB storage from WD & IBM
      Matrox G400 (it's not dead yet!)
      SB Live! the original full retail, still going strong
      Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400, the PC speakers that goes BOOM!
      Please email me if you would like to contribute to the "Jammrock needs new toys" fund.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I heard about this on the financial news Monday morning. Ruth's pixie dust will increase storage density five fold!!! Since then, every one of my engineering friends have been bringing this up with me in discussions. It sure is getting a lot of people's interest!
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Well...it got mine.

Comment

Well, with a 400GB drive who needs DVDRW?

DJ

Comment

How we're going to back that up??
              We'll need at least two drives.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I've become convinced that HDD is the current best solution for backup. We ran into that problem in trying to backup HDTV recordings which are quite large. You have to have them on disk to play them back (most tape systems are too slow, I think DLT will work) and it takes way too long to move them from tape to disk for later playback. You also need a jukebox to store such large amounts of data which adds to the expense of the media. The cost of HDD is getting so low that its become an inexpensive and fast solution that can address the capacity requirements of storage backup.
                <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I am with xortam. Where I work, we simply compress and store our files onto a harddrive mounted in a bracket, on a dedicated backup computer (pentium 90). We can use the slower, cheaper drives. Our nightly backups are in excess of 10gig and we use 30gig drives at the moment. There is always more than one backup of our work.

In my experience, hard drives are far more reliable than tapes, and you can get several of them for the price of a decent tape drive.
                  80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

I can't wait to see what effect this will have on a large (2-3 terrabyte) EMC Symmetrix unit that currently uses 18/36gb drives.

As far as tapes go, the LTO (utltrium), and Super/Ultra DLT both weighing in at ~100GB are the only things large/fast enough to saturate an LVD channel.
                    Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
                    - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
                    - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
                    - 6.1 Digital Audio
                    - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
                    - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
                    - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
                    - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
                    - LS120 IDE Floppy
                    - Zip 100 IDE
                    - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
                    - NEC FE950
                    - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Ruth's pixie dust will increase storage density five fold!!! </font>
                      Damn! Those babies are gonna fly!

The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

"400GB ought to be enough for anybody."
                        MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
                        Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
                        512MB regular Crucial PC2100
                        Matrox P
                        X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
                        LianLiPC70

Comment

Imagine how much that would cost!

The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

When we actualy reaches those figures, the prices will be in the same range as the current.
                            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

oooo, even cheaper to rip DVD's to my HD.
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X