Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speeding up boot times

Hi all,

I need to make a PC of mine boot in the shortest time possible.

It's Win98se at the moment, but I could change that to Win98 rev 1 or WinME. No other choices - maybe could go win2k if I had to.

System spec:

Celeron 400 (can't be changed)
    Intel 810 mainboard (can't be changed)
    64Mb RAM (Can increase if needs be)
    4Gb HDD (Can change, but must be a 2.5" HDD)
    Onboard Intel VGA/Audio
    Onboard LAN

Now, I have to have the audio, but don't need the LAN or VGA drivers to load. I also need to load USB drivers.

What can I do to decrease boot up times? I could remove all fonts, start up programs, config/autoexec, start up stuff in registry. Any other ideas?

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

AXCEL216's MAX Speeed WinDOwS Tricks Secrets Bugs Fixes

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Go here foe some info! http://www.tweak3d.net/tweak/boot-time/
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

From all MS OS I´ve gone thought, WinME is the faster booter. Of course, win95 could boot faster on a fresh install, but the ton of patches needed to run it properly would slow it down.

Win2k doesn´t boot that fast. It isn´t no slouch either, but it´s very clear that boot time wasn´t on of the major concern while coding the OS.

So my opinion is: Get ME, disable all hardware that you don´t use in bios (USB/Serials/Paralel), don´t install too much programs that slow windows boot up, and please correctly configure Onboard LAN.

Comment

If the hd is an 5400 model don't change it becouse a 7200 one will increase your boot time!
          According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Thanks guys!

I just thought of something else - what if I reformatted the HDD as FAT16? I'm sure that FAT 16 is read faster under DOS (i.e. windows boot up) than FAT 32?

------------------
            Cheers,
            Steve

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by SteveC:
              Thanks guys!

I just thought of something else - what if I reformatted the HDD as FAT16? I'm sure that FAT 16 is read faster under DOS (i.e. windows boot up) than FAT 32?

</font>
              isn't fat 16 limited to 2 Gb hdd size??

Comment

Yeah - I'll have windows on a small FAT 16 partition, and everything else on a FAT 32 partition.

------------------
                Cheers,
                Steve

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Guru:
                  If the hd is an 5400 model don't change it becouse a 7200 one will increase your boot time!</font>

My IBM 7200RPM booted much faster than my quantum 5400!

Please give us a litle more facts about that one..
                  If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Good link, Technoid !! I bookmarked it, although when I ever get into problems with my PC, I can't reach that site ofcourse

Jord.
                    Jordâ„¢

Comment

an obvious one, but i´ll say it anyway... don´t let your bios autodetect your HD´s
                      If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

Most of the fun exclusive things are offered in a zipfile

Comment

Added the link to the FAQs, with credit to Technoid
                          Jordâ„¢

Comment

I haven't read the links yet but you should disable the NDIS drivers from loading ... they're the biggest time consumer at boot up.
                            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Also tweak the BIOS ram check, make sure the boot order is set for HD first.
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X