Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForce3 and 2D quality...

Hi folks!
    What if the following is turning out to be true?

Quote:

"People have been complaining about image quality on the GeForce2 series cards, saying that text gets blurry at high resolutions and colors look dull. This isn't really NVIDIA's fault as it's up to the board makers to choose the best video filter to use on their cards. Most manufacturers were using low-grade quality filters and the results were what people were complaining about. Thankfully, NVIDIA is more strict on board manufacturers this time around with the GeForce3 and board manufacturers are using high quality filters for their GeForce3 boards. You shouldn't experience any image degradation when scaling to high resolutions on a GeForce3 card."

http://www.tweak3d.net/reviews/leadt...tgf3td/8.shtml

Hi and welcome aboard the MURC fori

Concerning your question: While it is indeed true that the bad image quality does result from low quality filters and is the card manufacturer's fault, not nVidias, the latter statement is definately not true, as several reviews stated that the image quality of GF3 based cards is still the same as that of GF2 based ones. Now if the statement was true, fine with me - one more card worth considering. Would be sad for Matrox, though..

AZ

[EDIT: ECC ]

[This message has been edited by az (edited 07 May 2001).]
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

So here is my burning question. Is there that much of a price difference between a mediocre and a good quality filter? Or does it go beyond that?
      MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
      Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
      512MB regular Crucial PC2100
      Matrox P
      X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
      LianLiPC70

Comment

If you sell a million cards, one $ can make a difference, and when your target group doesn't care about 2D image quality, why bother?

AZ

Comment

I understand how things add up, just would like to know what the actual difference would be. Is it $1 or is it more than $10?
          MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
          Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
          512MB regular Crucial PC2100
          Matrox P
          X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
          LianLiPC70

Comment

Closer to a dollar.

Comment

If that sort of stuff were true, SOMEONE would have made a TNT/TNT2/GeFart/GeFart2 that DIDN'T have a sucky DAC. But since nobody has, I am forced to conclude that there is something intrinsically shitty about nVidia's core.

- Gurm

------------------
              Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

I might be wrong, but I was under the impression that the filter on the card just made the text clearer, and stopped ghosting. The colours are still dull and washed out.

So if you put better filters on the card, which any manufacturer could do you do get better text, but its Nvidias chip design that dictates the colour seperation, strength.

Now clear text is probably the most important thing. Most people seem happy with the colours of the TNT/Geforce cards, so I dont know if it realy matters.

Ali

Comment

Actually, whenever I look at other people's screens I see crappy colors. Blamed it on their cheap monitors, but is it really only the monitor? And I guess that GF2 MXs will have better colours than regular GF2s thanks to their nVCQ (attention: sarcasm here). I'd really like to test it though...

AZ

Comment

On the weekend, a buddy (who also owns a
                    G400MAX) and I went to friend's house for
                    a birthday bash.
                    We were checking out our friend's computer
                    (with an Asus GeForce card) and we
                    looked at each other and both said at the same time "does that look blurry to you?"
                    I still doubt that the GeForce3 will be any
                    better.

------------------
                    MatroxG400MAX..and some other stuff

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 09 May 2001).]

Comment

Don't forget though Geforce 3s are being used on macs as well, whose users always want better image quality. So this might cross over to PCs although i wouldn't cross my fingers.

Comment

I had for a while Videoexcel GF2MX. Thanks to its vcq colors in games are as vibrant as G400. On the other side, I sold it when I bought nice 17 inch (samsung 700 nf) because GF2 has bad 2D. When I sad bad I really meant awful. Now I have G400 again, and trying to wait until new matrox card is out. (I like games too). Only 2D alternative is, as far as I know, ati radeon. I dont believe what stupid recezents say about GF3 2D, because most of them are half blind. For example, in my country, ALL computer magasines claim that GF2 has good 2D.

Comment

Most publications either online or in print seem to lie about Nvidias 2D quality, saying its good. My Creative Labs Geforce 2 looked AWFUL in 2D (at 1024x768x85hz). Bought an ATI Radeon and noticed a HELLUVA improvement. Since most publications / review sites seem squeamish when it comes to revealing this fact, I assume when I read "the 2D of the Geforce 3 is just as sharp as the GF2" that it means it still sucks and they haven't fixed it yet.

Bart
                          Bart

Comment

My Elsa Gladiac 32's 2D is actually pretty good. Maybe not G400Max good, but pretty good all the same.

On the other hand, the Gigabyte GeForce2MX 32 single that I have stinks in 2D, with extremely blurry output, even at 1024x768x32. Granted, the vcq settings give it excellent color, but the blurriness way overshadows the brilliance of the color.

------------------
                            System specs:
                            AMD T-Bird 1.33 (o.c. to 1.5Ghz)
                            Asus A7M266
                            256MB Crucial PC2100 DDR RAM
                            Promise Fastrak 100 EIDE Raid controller running
                            2x IBM DTLA 60GB 7200 RPM UDMA 100 hdd, RAID 0 array
                            "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                            Gainward Ti4600
                            AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Did anyone really read the last line in that statement?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">You shouldn't experience any image degradation when scaling to high resolutions on a GeForce3 card.</font>
                              You shouldn't
                              But what oh dear nVidia if one does? S/He shouldn't? Just that?

If you read a statement like that, would you still want to buy this card?

Hahaha, if Matrox told you that something wrong with your 2D for your G400 should be alright with the G450/Gxxx would you believe them?

"You just put down an X amount of money for a videocard and you can't even read where you put your fave gamefolder, but it will be resolved in a next videocard... thanks.. I want either my money back, or I want you screwballs to give me drivers/a bios that solves this thing. I'm not B.G. who can buy a new vidcard every day, you know? ****oles!!" -- just thinking for you

Jord.

Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                              X