Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rate limit exceeded (ICQ)

Okay, here's something for the ICQ bufs

When I try to connect to ICQ, I get the message Rate limit exceeded. Try to reconnect in a couple of minutes.

That's been going on for the past 30 minutes, despite a reboot and reconnecting to the internet.

Holly has no trouble connecting to ICQ through the network, so it's solely on my PC.

Any idea's out there? I'm bummed

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Well, I'm not sure what it means for ICQ but rate limiting is a way to prevent a host from exceeding a specified amount of bandwidth. If the specified amount is exceeded, then any traffic exceeding that bandwidth will be dropped.

Dave

------------------
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I've had this same problem once or twice. It happens when you've connected to the ICQ server too many times within a certain period of time. The server thinks it's being attacked and begins to block the IP in question. You'll just have to wait a while (can't remember the time in my case, less than an hour I guess) and try again.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation MP

I couldn't find it in the ICQ FAQs anywhere either.

Welcome to the MURC!

Jord.
        Jordâ„¢

Comment

Hi folks,

I used to have the very same pb as yours, but it was p.i.a., every time i try to connect to icq servers i would get this annoying "Rate limit exceeded". The turn around was to backup all the messages databases, install Icq again and put again the database.

If it helps.

Comment

I'm glad I could be of help

I've been reading these forums for some time now and finally decided to take part in a conversation. It's nice to be here

Comment

Working...
            X