Arrrrgh...! Major disaster :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arrrrgh...! Major disaster :(

Ok, my A7V failed on my yesterday. Great. A big black screen on boot (or lack of it)

Now while waiting for the replacement(?) under warranty I borrowed a POS Lucky-Star K7VAT+ (Kt133+686B)wich actually ran with the G400 just fine.

Now, today my KyroII arrived.

Major disaster. After the 2 OS reinstalls I keep getting crashes, freezes, exits to the desktop in win2k, rendering the card totally unusable in win2k.

WinMe isn´t actually stable, to.

I suspect the POS mobo, as one of the same kind had previously given me troubles in win2k. I can´t believe Kyro II drivers are such a disaster.

Any sugestions? (Bios settings...?)

No suggestions, but every review I've read about the Lucky Star MB's has been very positive. Feature set is a little low, but it's a good performer and extremely stable. I think you just goofed on the software somewhere.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Could be the 686b timing bug showing it's ugly head. Try the viahardware forums.
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Nuno,

How much is the Kyro II? Is it easily available here in Portugal? How is the 2D image quality comparing to the G400? Does it work with a slow processor (by today´s standards) like a Celeron 466? I´m interested in upgrading my G400 16Mb without spending too much money.

Comment

I seriously doubt you will notice any performance increase with that CPU. I think you have to upgrade the CPU to make a graphicsupgrade worthwhile.

Comment

Hi guys!!

Thank you all, but I have it sorted out.
            A nice tip was to disable AGP 4x in the bios, it improved things very much, although not perfect. Stil got some ocasional crashes.

But today I´ve been testing this beauty on a Gigabyte 7IXE4 (socketA AMD 750 mobo... I didn´t even knew it existed). Long story, don´t bother.

Well, it works beautifully on the good old AMD 750 chipset. If you care to read my next post, I will elaborate a bit about KyroII

Wombat: Sorry, but I disagree. I´ve tried 2 lucky-star mobo´s. In the first one I was unable to run AGP texturing properly in win2k. Games crawled. I searched for a bios update and the last one was like 8th months old (just for fun I checked again and it´s still NOT updated). Funny thing was just exchanging it for a pc-chips mobo (and later the A7V) things worked fine.
            This second board (although the bios setting tip improved thing greatly) just wasn´ stable enough with the KyroII. Oh, and believe me or not, no matter what speed you set your mem in the bios this freaking mobo ALWAYS run it at 100 Mhz, confirmed by sisoft sandra and WcpuID. Nice, really.

The PIT: I had via 4-1 4.31, which suposedly patched the 686B bug.

Alec: Entre os 35 e os 40 contecos. Tenta www.chip7.pt e www.unreal.pt Mas se eu tivesse o teu systema talvez tentasse um upgradezito de cpu primeiro. Os celeronII tb tem bus de 66 Mhz, não correrão na tua LX?

Comment

Working...
            X