Help with defrag.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with defrag.

I have noticed that whenever I defrag a drive in Win2K the system files never get moved.

Is there anyway to schedule the defrag to occur when I reboot, so that it can move the system files when they are not in use?

or...

Does anyone know of a proggie that can move the pagefile to the start or the drive?

I don't suppose these would actually improve performance, but it would make me a happy chappie.

Thanks

------------------
    I am running Win2K Pro: SP2 on the following:
    • T'bird 1GHz 200FSB on an Asus A7V (KT133)
    • 256 Mb PC100 RAM
    • Matrox G400 32MB Dual Head
    • IBM DJNA-372200 21GB UDMA 66 Drive
    • 2 x IBM DNES-309170W 8GB SCSI Disk Drives (Raid 0)
    • Matshita DVD-ROM SR-8584A IDE
    • Plextor PX-W1210S SCSI CD-RW
    • Intel Pro/100+ Management Ethernet Adaptor
    • Iwill 2936 Ultra Wide SCSI controller
    • SB Live! 5.1
    • Sony Multiscan CPD-G400 19"
    • USB IntelliMouse Explorer Optical
    • Creative WebCam Go! Plus 8Mb
    • UM9800 V.90 USB Modem
    • Tornado 1000 case (with six 80mm fans!)
    • Cambridge SoundWorks DTT3500 5.1 speakers
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Just incase I didn't make myself clear

***EDIT***

Doh! Wrong URL!

[This message has been edited by Paddy [MU] (edited 23 May 2001).]
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

You could boot from another partition if you had one ... say a bootable CD. This way your system files would not be in use and free to be relocated. This is also a good way to thoroughly repair your volumes.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Unfortunatley since it's NTFS you will only be able to boot if you stick it in another NT machine.
        Nortons defrag moves the files okay although it's rather slow.
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

<a href="http://www.diskeeper.com/coverpage.asp">Executive Software</a>, the ones Microsoft licensed a lite version of their W2k defragmanter from, kept boot-time defragmanting to the retail buyers of the full version of their Diskeeper software.

A free, tiny utility for the boot-time defragmanting of registry hives and the swap file is <a href="http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pagedefrag.shtml">PageDefrag</a> from SysInternals.

WARNING
          I have managed to completely kill the Windows 2000 installation on one of my machines by scheduling both PageDefrag and Diskeeper 5.3xxx (v6 is now available) to run at next boot. After they finished seemingly successfully, a load of files got corrupted and there wasn't anything short of a reinstall from sratch to get W2k back.
          I have previously run both utilities seperately without problems, but ever since that, I'm not touching either of them.
          Boot-time defragmanting is dangerous. Use it if you must. I just stick with online defragmanting now.

(Just about all other retail Win2k defragmanter utilities have similar boot-time defragging functionality as well (Speed Disk, OODefrag etc.). Some of them can even move these file online. Which, of course, is potentionally even more dangerous than doing it during the boot process.)

[This message has been edited by fds (edited 23 May 2001).]

Comment

Working...
          X