hmm... OfiiceXP and Win2K?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hmm... OfiiceXP and Win2K?

I've heard a few terrifying reports of mixing Office XP with Win2K.... Is anyaone aware of any problems and/or workarounds...or should i just stick to Office 2000....

Cheers, Paddy
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

I'm running a full install of Office XP Professional Plus presently with Win2K SP2...no problems whatsoever.

My Win2K Box:
    Gateway 8200R Mobo (Dual Slot 1 Intel 440BX)
    2x Intel P3 450MHz
    384MB SDRAM
    Appian Jeronimo 2000 PCI (2x16MB Permedia 3s)
    Adaptec 6910 10BT PCI NIC
    Adaptec 2920U SCSI card
    Creative/Digicom 5630 PCI Data/FAX/VoiceModem
    Creative Labs AWE64 ISA Soundcard
    Onboard Intel 10/100 Pro NIC
    Onboard Adaptec 7890 Dual Channel UW SCSI
    Onboard Cirrus Logic SVGA Adapter (Disabled)
    2 x WD Enterprise 4.5GB UW SCSI HDD
    Plextor Ultraplex Wide CD-ROM
    Plextor 12/10/32 SCSI Burner w/BURN Proof
    Pioneer 5x DVD-ROM
    3.5" Floppy

Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Cheers!

Hey Nice setup!

------------------
      I am running Win2K Pro: SP2 on the following:
      • T'bird 1GHz 200FSB on an Asus A7V (KT133)
      • 256 Mb PC100 RAM
      • Matrox G400 32MB Dual Head
      • IBM DJNA-372200 21GB UDMA 66 Drive
      • 2 x IBM DNES-309170W 8GB SCSI Disk Drives (Raid 0)
      • Matshita DVD-ROM SR-8584A IDE
      • Plextor PX-W1210S SCSI CD-RW
      • Intel Pro/100+ Management Ethernet Adaptor
      • Iwill 2936 Ultra Wide SCSI controller
      • SB Live! 5.1
      • Sony Multiscan CPD-G400 19"
      • USB IntelliMouse Explorer Optical
      • Creative WebCam Go! Plus 8Mb
      • UM9800 V.90 USB Modem
      • Tornado 1000 case (with six 80mm fans!)
      • Cambridge SoundWorks DTT3500 5.1 speakers
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

The only issues I've heard about with OfficeXP is that it is incompatible with the latest beta builds of WindowsXP.
        It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
        Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

hmm.... I'll give it a whirl then!

Comment

A very nice system for you as well!

My Duallie is my workaday box: CAD, Graphic design, Word Processing, Gateway/router, answering/voicemail/pager forwarding, email, etc...the occasional game. (I was surprised to see how well it played Rogue Spear with the Appian) In general, I try and set it up to be as bulletproof as possible.

I finally gave up on the SBlive! and stuck an old AWE64 in lieu of a Game Theatre that I currently cannot afford. (We don't need to beat on the Live! in Win2K here anymore...talk about a dead horse...but let's hope Creative gets it right with the SP2 driver release they've been promising.)

Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

No serious problems here either. Word did crash sometimes on exiting though with an error in vbe6.dll. I think it was caused by Acrobat 5.0's Office converter. I got rid of that and so far so good. But since it crashed after I told it to exit, it wasn't that bad anyway.

Comment

The only problems I've run into are with Office XP and newer builds of Internet Explorer. Even some older builds. It probably isn't the IE per se but the system files it updates, as I think Win2kSP2 causes these problems to manifest as well.

The problem appears as IE or Explorer hanging randomly, making the entire machine HELLA slow, but task manager (when it finally comes up) shows all normal.

The problem is solved by killing the task CTFMON.EXE, and put to bed by renaming or deleting that file outright and making a text file of the same name that is read-only.

I find it difficult to believe that MS hasn't noticed this problem in-house, since Office XP is done and has been for a couple months now.

- Gurm

------------------
                Listen up, you primitive screwheads! See this? This is my BOOMSTICK! Etc. etc.
                The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                If only life were as easy as you
                I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                If only life were as easy as you
                I would still get screwed

Comment

Thanks for the replies!

Gurm: I'll try getting rid of that file.... Do you know what it does?

Comment

check this thread

http://forums.murc.ws/ubb/Forum9/HTML/001584.html

Comment

Cheers all! I new I'd heard something bad about it!

I have to say Outlook XP is soooo much better than its previous incarnation.

I thought that £^&%ing paperclip was supposed to be redundent though...

Comment

I've installed OfficeXP on 3 seperate Win2k computers and have not had any troubles.

------------------
                        ]@/\/\/\/\|Ø\0©|<

Athlon 650
                        256 MB PC133 CAS3 from Crucial
                        87 GB storage from WD & IBM
                        Matrox G400 (it's not dead yet!)
                        SB Live! the original full retail, still going strong
                        Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400, the PC speakers that goes BOOM!
                        Please email me if you would like to contribute to the "Jammrock needs new toys" fund.
                        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                        X