Help!? Problems deleting a file.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!? Problems deleting a file.

Having a bad week this week when it comes to hardware.

On my girlfriend's pc now and I'm all out of ideas on this one.

She's been having troubles running photoshop for a couple of days now, so I thought I'd re-install it. When I run the installer it says there's already a copy running and to close it down before continuing. Thing is it wasn't running - I even checked in Task Manager.

So I thought I'd uninstall it and try again. Can't uninstall it.

Can't even delete the exe. I get an error saying "Error performing inpage operation". I even tried in a safe-mode command prompt and it still wouldn't let me.

Does anyone know what would cause this error? Is it hardware related? I've already had one hard drive fail in this pc and I'm dreading the second one going.

Any help would be appreciated.
    <i>Shampoo is better! I go on first and clean the hair!</i>

Athlon 700, K7V, 192Mb RAM, 32Mb G400 DH (v5.52), SBLive!, 26.4GB HDD, Win2k Pro, Actima 8xDVD, LG 32x4x4x CD-RW, CTX VL950T 19"

Okay, discovered that I can rename the actual photoshop directory no worries, so I'm installing Photoshop into a new directory as I write this, but is still doesn't solve my problem of not being able to delete that file.

btw, when you install Adobe products, have you ever noticed that Australia isn't in their list of countries? Perhaps someday I should point that out to them (noticed it about 12 months ago...)

Athlon 700, K7V, 192Mb RAM, 32Mb G400 DH (v5.52), SBLive!, 26.4GB HDD, Win2k Pro, Actima 8xDVD, LG 32x4x4x CD-RW, CTX VL950T 19"

Comment

Even after you've renamed it you can't delete the .exe?

You could try deleting it in DOS mode, not a DOS box. But if problems like these arise, you'd probably be better set with a complete windows reinstall

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

You probably have remnants in your Registry (for instance, something like a "RunOnce" entry). You may also still have a shortcut to your old installation in your startup, thus preventing you from deleting an open file.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

az: I can't really delete it in dos mode because it's a win2k machine and the partitions are all ntfs. (forgot they were all ntfs till I booted off a dos floppy and then couldn't get to any of the hard drives.)

xortam: Checked that. Her ICQ kept starting up automatically despite being deleted from the startup folder of the start menu, so I checked the registry settings to see exactly what was being run on startup and photoshop was not listed.

Anyway, she's able to run Photoshop again now after renaming the directory. Still haven't tried deleting the old version again since renaming it.

Well, I'm off to post in the "Matrox Hardware" now about another problem that's popped up this morning.

Comment

You should be able to delete the file now that you've renamed the directory

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Can't you delete files from within the recovery console???
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

In windows make sure the file is not set to read only then boot in to dos mode then delete the file if del does not work use deltree!

Oh and I also recomend you to runb scandisk!

[This message has been edited by Guru (edited 21 May 2001).]
                According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Guru:
                  In windows make sure the file is not set to read only then boot in to dos mode then delete the file if del does not work use deltee!

Oh and I also recomend you to runb scandisk!
                  </font>

Errr win2k? NTFS? good luck doing that Guru! (Of course, you may have the DOS-NTFS program, but not many people have that)

------------------
                  Cheers,
                  Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Ups I mised the ntfs part! (Lots to do here at work today)

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Of course, you may have the DOS-NTFS program, but not many people have that</font>
                    I do! Want a copy? You can d/load a fre trial version as well!

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Working...
                    X