Guess What? It's Athlon 4!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guess What? It's Athlon 4!!

The AMD Palomino core Athlon is here for mobile applications..

http://www.amdzone.com/articleview.c...eid=685&page=2
    http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1469

I'm definetely going to get me one of those

Finally an AMD with a Thermal Diode, and the addition of SSE can't hurt either.
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Too bad that AMD couldn't resist calling it Athlon 4, how about kickbutthlon

looks interesting though
      System:
      Asus A7V rev. 1.01p bios 1011
      AMD Thunderbird 800
      SBLive retail with liveware 3.0
      Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
      LG Flatron 795FT 17" monitor
      IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
      Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
      WinME
      directx 8.0a
      384mb pc133

Comment

I just hate the name. Plain Athlon is better.

Athlon 4

Comment

It's only a name, and a clever one too. The run-of-the-mill PC consumer will buy it, because it says "lots-o-numbers", as much as Intel. And the educated PC consumer will check specs and performance beforehand anyway - the name could be Eggnog Phumzork XXL for that matter.

So, if the name helps AMD to slap Intel even more, that's ok by me.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Six Of One:
            the name could be Eggnog Phumzork XXL for that matter.</font>
            I actually nearly spit out my drink when I read this - quite good, I'd like a CPU with that name

Really funny

AZ

There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I know that the Palomino is the fourth cpu in the Athlon family and that the name is thereby correct, and I agree that its fine if Intel gets another slap, but I also like the plain Athlon name better, it's weird suddenly to start using numbers instead of Duron, T-bird etc.

Oh well guess that the marketing-department also has to come up with new ideas
              System:
              Asus A7V rev. 1.01p bios 1011
              AMD Thunderbird 800
              SBLive retail with liveware 3.0
              Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
              LG Flatron 795FT 17" monitor
              IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
              Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
              WinME
              directx 8.0a
              384mb pc133

Comment

It is so consumers will consider it to be on the same level/generation as the P4.

Comment

But, what AMD's marketing department doesn't realize is:

The consumer will look at the two products and see an Intel solution which is superior to the competitor's.

Pentium 4 1700mhz
                  Athlon 4 1333mhz

They should've just kept it at Athlon so that the product would be differentiated from Intel.

[This message has been edited by isochar (edited 14 May 2001).]

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by isochar:
                    But, what AMD's marketing department doesn't realize is:

The consumer will look at the two products and see an Intel solution which is superior to the competitor's.

Pentium 4 1700mhz
                    Athlon 4 1333mhz

They should've just kept it at Athlon so that the product would be differentiated from Intel.

[This message has been edited by isochar (edited 14 May 2001).]
                    </font>
                    The average user have a very hard time deciding what they want, they think the P4 is much faster...BUT the Athlon costs much less.

Comment

how long is it gonna be before we start slagging AMD of, cos there a massive monopoly marketing business and get behind some smartass newbie to overthrow it's silicon towers... Maybe they'll be called Intel?
                      Ath SOC1 1.2gz,G200(dam), Asus a7V133, sonic fury, Maxtor+ 40 30GB, 384Mb(133), win2ksp2 <-&->Vaio Z600 P3 700, 192mb, Ati rage, 15gb

Comment

Can't WAIT til AMD is a massive monopoly dominating the industry and sucking up profits.. then I'll be sitting in my jacuzzi on my 100 ft yacht with an ice cold Beck's Dark and the supermodel of my choice.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Easty:
                          how long is it gonna be before we start slagging AMD of, cos there a massive monopoly marketing business and get behind some smartass newbie to overthrow it's silicon towers... Maybe they'll be called Intel? </font>
                          Don't be stupid. People are actually buying AMD AGAINST all Intels marketing power because AMD just have the better chips for now.
                          I would probably be one of the persons not to buy Intel because I don't like them, but with the old Celeron I still got myself one (a CeleronA 300@450) and not a K6 because it was the better chip for it's price by that time. I regretted this a bit, because of course i knew that the only reason for the Celeron to exist was AMDs K6.

Now I've got a Duron just because this chip simply can't be beat on a price/performance ratio - not even if you have an old Intel board lying around, not to mention when you buy a totally new system.
                          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                          My System
                          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                          German ATI-forum

Comment

Hasn't anyone read the articles KvH was pointing at? The AMD that's coming out first is the mobile one, with possible a desktop version following later. Might be a Pomelo (or is that a drink? ) or Athlon 5 at that moment.

Cheap sell-line for the AMD would be "An Athlon 4 me, and Athlon 4 you"

I'm still waiting for a mobo mfr that makes their mobo CPU friendly. Doesn't matter which CPU you intend to buy, it will always fit on this mobo, i.e. the dual CPU-mfr mobo

At least it gives you a chance to check which of the two is the better and the faster.

Jord.
                            Jordâ„¢

Comment

The heck with the next gen chips......I want my DUAL ATHLON board!!!

the waiting is killing me not to mention the MSRP of 500$ for the just the board....

=(
                              Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Working...
                              X