Blurry edges on 19" CTX after a repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blurry edges on 19" CTX after a repair

Sent my CTX VL950T away a few weeks back for a warranty repair job (it stopped working totally - the green light came on, but no picture. Not even the OSD) and it finally arrived today. I was very pleased at this after using a not-so-bad-but-still-17" Velta while waiting for mine to come back.

However, I just set it up to test that it was working only to find that only the middle 6 inches or so are as crisp as I remember it, but the outer edges are very blurry. Blurry to the point where I'm going to get a headache if I look at them too long.

I know it's not the video card (32Mb G400 DH) and I am almost absolutely certain it was not at all blurry before it stopped working.

I guess I'm here more to vent a bit of disgust at the fact that it came back in such poor condition, but I was also wondering if anyone else here with CTX monitors could confirm that my eyes haven't begun playing tricks on me and that CTX monitors aren't as poor as this.

It's even bad at 1024x768, which from memory is below the recommended res for these monitors.

I think I'm going to give the support line another call tomorrow and let them know I'm not happy.

cerb

PS - the "murc forums" image at the top left of the page doesn't have a gaussian blur on it or something does it?
    <i>Shampoo is better! I go on first and clean the hair!</i>

Athlon 700, K7V, 192Mb RAM, 32Mb G400 DH (v5.52), SBLive!, 26.4GB HDD, Win2k Pro, Actima 8xDVD, LG 32x4x4x CD-RW, CTX VL950T 19"

Aaron, could you try to post a picture of this here? If you don't have webspace, email it to me and I'll put it on. I know your (web)cam is very clear

I've seen CTX monitors, and they should be clearer than you describe. You did go through the resolutions and the right install files for the monitor?

Maybe you should comb your beard out of your eyes

Jord.
    Jordâ„¢

Comment

Just check you're not pushing your screen too hard - check the refresh rates are sensible, and not something like 300Hz.

------------------
      Cheers,
      Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

Comment

Jorden: Yeah, I'll grab a couple of shots of it now. Funny thing is I turned my pc on this morning and it looked okay, but turned off the monitor to have a shower, and now it looks blurry again. Maybe I hadn't woken up properly when I looked at it before.

With regards to the install files, I have never actually used them - I've always selected "Plug N Play Monitor" and it's always been fine.

Oh, and btw, I trimmed my beard the other day so that won't be the problem. :P

Just tried the webcam and it's proving to be exceedingly difficult to get set up so the focus of the camera shows up the difference. Might try a different method - have to reboot to win98 to do so, though.

SteveC: I'm running at 1280x1024@85Hz, which I believe is the recommended res for this monitor. But like I said at the top, even 1024x768@85 is blurry.

Rylan: I have moire settings in the OSD but they didn't help a lot. Couldn't find a convergance setting.

Actually, a strange occurence I've noted is that every resolution is starting off with a huge pincushion effect - there's about 2 inches of black around the whole screen and the corners are all pulled inwards. Could this be part of the same problem?

Anyway, better switch to win98 and grab some captures so you guys know what I mean.

Athlon 700, K7V, 192Mb RAM, 32Mb G400 DH (v5.52), SBLive!, 26.4GB HDD, Win2k Pro, Actima 8xDVD, LG 32x4x4x CD-RW, CTX VL950T 19"

Comment

Nope, still can't get a shot of the screen that is focussed right.

I'm trying the Sony Digital Camera and Firewire card I borrowed off my parents.

Got a shot of my bios with the pincushion effect I mentioned in the last post, but it's in bitmap format and I have no utilities installed in win98 to be able to convert it to anything else.

Oh, well.

Strange thing is that it doesn't seem to be too bad in win98 (1280x960@85Hz) but maybe I'm just getting used to the blurriness now. I hope that's not the case.

Oops, running late for work.

Comment

Aaron, if you send it over to me in email, I'll make it a jpg and either send it back or post it for you
            Although that will be my tomorrow morning

I'm off to catch some zzzz's.

Jord.
            Jordâ„¢

Comment

Sounds like the convergance or moire compensation is screwed up. Do you have control of those settings in the OSD?

Comment

Try IrfanView for a great image viewing and converting app

It's freeware and it's small, too

AZ
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Does that pincushin efect happen only when you turn the monitor on from a cold start, or it happen whenever you switch resolutions?

Comment

Working...
                  X