what is msgsrv32.*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is msgsrv32.*

Cant remember the type of file hence the asterisk, but the reason Im asking is that it often has to be shut down because it freezes my system, after which it runs stable again.

Is it possible to disable it?

------------------
    System:
    Asus A7V rev. 1.01p bios 1007
    AMD Thunderbird 800@824 fsb 103
    SBLive retail with liveware 3.0
    Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
    LG Flatron 795FT 17" monitor
    IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
    Pioneer 103-s dvdrom
    WinME
    directx 8.0a
    128mb pc133
    System:
    Asus A7V rev. 1.01p bios 1011
    AMD Thunderbird 800
    SBLive retail with liveware 3.0
    Matrox g400 MAX pd 6.51
    LG Flatron 795FT 17" monitor
    IBM 13.5 GB 7200 hdd
    Pioneer 106-s dvdrom
    WinME
    directx 8.0a
    384mb pc133

I'm at work now running on memory but I think it's related to your sound card drivers.
    MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
    Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
    512MB regular Crucial PC2100
    Matrox P
    X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
    LianLiPC70

Comment

It´s an .exe- file, Windows VxD-mesaggeserver, that as far as I know e.g. keeps track on what version of a .dll-file that is called upon by let´s say a graphics driver.

So if you have installed anything that overwrites a certain .dll-file with another version, you might get into trouble with the app that installed the previous version.

Try running sfc.exe (system file checker).

rubank

Comment

The first thing to do if you have questions about Windows is to check Microsoft's knowledge base.

From http://support.microsoft.com/support...n_SRCH&SPR=W98
        <font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Msgsrv32.exe is a program that runs invisibly on the Windows desktop and performs several background functions necessary for Windows operation. These functions include:

Mediate Plug and Play messages among various parts of the operating system.

Coordinate automatic responses to Setup programs. This includes checking whether a Setup program has improperly overwritten Windows files, and optionally restoring the Windows versions of those files.

Display the initial logon dialog box if networking is enabled.

Play the system startup and shutdown sounds.

Load installable Windows drivers at startup and unload them at shutdown.

Run the shell program (usually Explorer.exe) and re-run the shell if it fails to respond.</font>
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

This thing with msgsrv32.exe is a well know issue in WinMe but not in win98 / SE.
          I have had this problem, friends of mine have had this problem friends of friends etc.
          We have never been able to track down the cause to this because it freezes on different times on different computers.
          Microsoft knowledge database could not provide an answer either.
          So i simply got tired of it and went back to using Win98 SE.
          In my case, msgsrv32.exe froze mainly when i checked my mail ( 95 % ) the rest of the times it was in connection with explorer.

[This message has been edited by Kosh Naranek (edited 15 May 2001).]
          Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
          incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

Working...
          X