Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Soundcard/girlfriend problem. Please help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soundcard/girlfriend problem. Please help.

Hi everybody!

I've got my girlfriend a new, quite cheap PCI soundcard (I couldn't afford anything better, unfortunately), to replace her *drumroll* no name ESS 1886 based one, which was terrible

The new one is a Terratec 128i PCI, based, as I later found out, on the ESS Solo 1 chipset ("ARGH! Not ESS Again," I thought to myself).

Well, anyway, the card installed like a charm and seemed to work great. Now, the only problem is: We can't get it to play two sounds at the same time (IE run winamp and still have system sounds). Now I've got to listen to "my old card could do that!", and I'm quite lost here

Could you please help me? Of course, the latest drivers are installed and there are no hardware conflicts, at least none that I can see.

Ah yes, the order of installation was: Win98 (first edition, with old soundcard still present), DirectX 7.0a (from the Diablo II CD), delete and rip out old soundcard, put in new one, install new drivers.

I need your help, Terratec tech support people are stupid and my girlfriend keeps saying "my old soundcard could do that" just to annoy me

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

You should consider upgrading, but with regards to the soundcard, I'm sure it's just a setting somewhere.

------------------

Comment

man... I don´t see what the problem is! I hate having more than one sound playing at a time
      If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

I don't have money upgrading her system (or mine, for that matter), and I certainly won't "upgrade" my girlfriend!

The problem is, she sometimes likes to play those little flash games, mahjong and some other, that you find on the net. They have sound you can disable, but they'll STILL use your soundcard just to play no sound, and thus she can't listen to any music other than CD while playing them - and don't tell me to tell her to listen to CDs then, this would merely be a workaround and neither she nor I will be very happy with it.

As I said, the drivers are the newest ones, and the soundcard is one or two years on the market, so they should be mature by now.

AZ

Comment

I think it just doesn't support multiple wavestreams.... a lot of the older soundcards don't... and the ESS Solo-1 chipset isn't what you call 'new'.

Comment

tried setting winamp output to direct sound?

mfg
            wulfman
            "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
            "Lobsters?"
            "Really? I didn't know they did that."
            "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Wulfman beat me to it. It sounds like Winamp is using Wave Out now instead of Direct Sound. Otherwise, I'm at a loss.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Any way to find an old Aureal 8810-based soundcard over there? Was also known as the Aureal Vortex Advantage...works great with W9x or W2k, and is significantly higher-tech than the ESS chip you found. Can get 'em in the states for less than $20...

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Terratec tech support people are stupid </font>
                  <font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">you shouldn't call anyone names, it just doesn't help you or make you more right</font>
                  System 1:
                  AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                  Epox 8K7A
                  2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                  an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                  SBLIVE 5.1
                  Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                  IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                  Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                  3Com Hardware Modem
                  Teac 20/10/40 burner
                  Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Replace your girlfriend. Your computer time are being interrupted by her requests.

Once this resouce conflict is resolved, all your cards will work as advertised.

-Rahul
                    Porsche: MSI K7N2-L, Athlon XP 2100+, G400 32MB DualHead, 1G RAM, 2xMaxtor 20 GB, Gentoo Linux
                    Quicksilver: HP Omnibook 500, PIII 700 MHz, 512MB RAM, 30GB, RedHat Linux 9.

Comment

Most likely it is too old to support multiple wavestreams. Though I did have an old Ensoniq Soundscape from 1995 that could play two at once. As others suggested, try the DirectSound output plugin for Winamp.

Comment

Fook... will try DirectSound.. but I believe I had it at DirectSound once and it wouldn't work any better... well, we'll see

DuRaNgO: You're right there, I was just too lazy to explain the whole procedure of misunderstandings, slow responses etc. Actually, maybe they think I'm stupid and maybe they're not that far off... Anyways, DuRaNgO, please no hard feelings just because I gave my opinion to your way to express yourself - after all, a forum lives on differing opinions, doesn't it?

AZ

Comment

I understand what you meant by stupid. Not dumb exactly but not informed enough.
                          [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                          Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                          Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                          Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                          Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

no prob
                            System 1:
                            AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
                            Epox 8K7A
                            2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
                            an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
                            SBLIVE 5.1
                            Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
                            IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
                            Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
                            3Com Hardware Modem
                            Teac 20/10/40 burner
                            Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Awww please! I have the EXACT same problem, so how can I change the output sound in Winamp to use Direct sound?

I have NO idea what so ever

Comment

Working...
                              X