"When Heatsinks Attack"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "When Heatsinks Attack"

Messing about with sme cooling ideas tonight, when I accidentally let the spinning blades of a delta fan (from a FOP38) come into contact with a heatsink...

One and a half blades flew off somewhere and the fan tore its power cable from the mainboard and went on its merry way through the air to land on the opposite side of the toom.

The heatsink sustained some scratches, as did my finger

------------------
    Cheers,
    Steve

"Life is what we make of it, yet most of us just fake"

V
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

My colleague has a compulsive behaviour against fans, he always hawe to check if he can lose a finger or two when he finds one without a fanguard.
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Like in racing, we should have scatter shields on these high speed fans. They can be dangerous to the operator or spectator in event of something letting go.
        MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
        Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
        512MB regular Crucial PC2100
        Matrox P
        X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
        LianLiPC70

Comment

Probably due to some CUI (Cooling Under the Influence).
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

could be worse... or better depending on you how you look at it, but i did something somewhat similar last week, except that it was my finger that came in contact with the fan instead of a heatsink

..ouch...
            First Love:
            • Lite-On FS020 enclosure w/4 120mm Panaflos and soon a 172mm Nidec
            • MSI 694D Pro w/ BIOS 1.6
            • 2x800E cC0 Pentium 3 w/ 2xVolcanoII
            • SyncMAX(NEC) PC166 VCM SDRAM 4x128mb w/ CAS = 1
            • nVidia Quadro2 Pro, but Matrox at heart
            • And other non-important stuff like hard drives and a dvd drive
            • Pineapples

Second Love:
            1990 Toyota Celica GT

Comment