Wireless LAN confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless LAN confusion

Maybe one of you bright sparks can answer something which has had me puzzled.

I've spent the last couple of days playing around with wireless networks and one thing I've noticed along the way is this, all the PCI cards are really PCMCIA cards on an adaptor. Some of them have the PCMCIA part seperate which just plugs into the card, i.e. 3Coms, others are all in one but you can see what looks like a PCMCIA card stuck to it, i.e. Compaq's.

Surely it's more complicated to produce them this way and obviously more expensive, so is there some technical reason behind this?
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Actually, it's probably cheaper. It saves on design costs and debugging, not to mention the manufacturing scale. I bet wireless lan PCI cards aren't the biggest seller, and this helps the cost significantly.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

That's standardisation for you, In design we try and use the same rivets that secure the toilet vacant sign.. as the ones that hold the wings on!
      Ath SOC1 1.2gz,G200(dam), Asus a7V133, sonic fury, Maxtor+ 40 30GB, 384Mb(133), win2ksp2 <-&->Vaio Z600 P3 700, 192mb, Ati rage, 15gb

Comment

Working...
      X