Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which P3 to buy?

Hi guys.

I`m planning to change my P3-500 with a newer ( faster ) CPU. I`d like to know whats your opinion on the best-buy P3 up to 1GHz. I have a BE6IIr1.1 MoBo, and it supports p3`s upto 1GHz. So, what should i get? Which P3 overclocks "best"?

Thanks in advance.

------------------
    Seth, are you ok ?
    I`m peachy, Kate. The world is my oyster.

[This message has been edited by omegaRED (edited 10 May 2001).]
    Seth, are you ok? I`m peachy Kate. The world is my oyster. - Seth Gecko

For the "best" overclocking value on that board, I would suggest a P3 700E, 750E, 800E or 850E. These processors can be found in slot-1 format.

A 1ghz P3 is rather expensive at the moment. A duron+mobo combo would cost about the same price as a 1ghz P3. So it's the the best value.

So one of the above "e" class (100fsb) P3's would be a good value.
    Primary system specs:
    Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ | Alpha Pal8045T | Radeon 8500 | 256mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Antec SX635 | Win2k Pro

Comment

Get the 1g P3. It'll last longest and it'll overclock to at LEAST 1100+

My 2XP3-1000@1125mhz.
      C:\DOS
      C:\DOS\RUN
      \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Go with a 700 or 800. The 750 is a dog as Far as overclocking goes.

Also try to find a processor with CB0 or CC0 stepping. The CC0 are the newer processors and may have the greatest potential.

And get the "E" type (100MHz) as EvilDonnyboy said.

Check the overclocking database at Overclockers for the P3-700 and 800 results and type of cooling used.
        http://www.overclockers.com/

and compare with Intels spec information page.

http://support.intel.com/support/pro.../sspec/p3p.htm

Paul
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Ya, mine did that but you have a better chance of getting over 1GHz with the 700 or 800.

Paul
          "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

And I like to keep my PCI bus in spec too, so Paul's suggestion is great IMO.

Rags

Comment

My P3-750 sucks at overclocking. It's rock stable up to about 825MHz (which is what it's running at now). After that, it starts to crap out, and refuses to boot after about 850 or so. I have one of the older cA2s, so that may be why. Also, it runs somewhat hot, at full load, CPU temp gets to almost 50 degrees C.

Comment

Wow! Thanks for all the replies folks. I think i`ll opt for the 800E, which should be enough to max my Vanilla G400, at least until i get some proper cooling ( if ever ). But, judging from my current Katmai 500, my system should be stable running at 109Mhz FSB using stock cooling. The RAM is only 100MHz, so it may be hindering me from reaching higher speeds. BTW, i havent changed the voltage. I just oc using SoftFSB. But, until i get my new CPU, i`ve never had any lockups running at 545 (109), but at 550 UT hangs. Is it the heat or maybe the voltage or maybe even the RAM? How can i find this out? If its the RAM, thats no prob coz i can get it changed for a 133 at no cost, or maybe even 150, if ne1 here in Macedonia even has some.

------------------
                Seth, are you ok ?

Comment

If it rally costs you nothing or not much, by all means change your ram to PC 133 RAM.

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Yah, i have a friend who works in a computer store ... he`ll just swap it He can do that much.

------------------
                    Seth, are you ok ?

Comment

Working...
                    X