Asus P2B-D, anyone have this Mobo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus P2B-D, anyone have this Mobo?

I need to know if anyone has successfully been able to run it with dual P3 700 or higher and ran it stable.

I have it running with dual PIII 600's 512 mb ram and the RT2000 extremely stable.
    Just thought if I can eventually upgrade the PIII 600's to a pair of PIII 850's SLOT 1 of coarse.

Thanks in advance,
    Elie

I don't have the -D version, but I do know the P2B series is very picky about what it will run.
    IF yours is a rev 1.06 or higher, it should be able to run a 100MHz FSB Coppermine, but will not run a 133MHz FSB chip.
    If it's older than a rev 1.06, you are probably not going to have much luck running anything faster than you already have...

http://www.asus.com/products/techref...ine/index.html
    Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply, I will check the revision of my Mobo tonight and see if it's R1.06, if not oh well.

Cheers,
      Elie

Comment

I have a question:

If you happen to own an old revision of a board, can't you return it to the manufacturer to get the newest version? I know this might take long, but it's only a theoretical question

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Thanks AZ, I also thought of this

Maybe Asus will be so kind to ship me a newer rev board first, once I receive it, I send them the only one back.

Let's hope I have a new rev board, then I'll talk to the Asus folks and see what they can do for me.

Cheers,
          Elie

Comment

Looks like if its a R1.02 - R1.06 (D01, D02), you may (some had SMP problems) be able to run a 800 MHz FC-PGA chip. If its a R1.06 (D03), you can run a 800 MHz Slot 1 or a 850 MHz FC-PGA. Check here for details. You might also want to check with the <a href=news:alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus>ASUS NG</a>.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

have you thought of using a flipchip & slocket combo?
              have a look here,midway down the page at date 4/12/200 which suggest that you can use up to an 800MHz fc-pga cpu.

Comment

I'll be keeping an eye in here, as I've thought about getting a newer CPU to exchange my aging P3-450. My Asus is a plain P2B Rev 1.02, with the maximum setting of 8.5x112 ...

How do you just send off your mobo to the mfr and get a new one? Doesn't it need to be damaged (anyone got a crowbar for me? ) then?

Jord.
                Jordâ„¢

Comment

Jorden,

Here's my Asus P2B-L (rev 1.02) results
                  when combining a Socket370 PIII 850 MHz
                  with an Asus S370-DL CPU card.

p.s. Maggi, where are you?

------------------
                  MatroxG400MAX..and some other stuff

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 08 May 2001).]

Comment

Tom, is your CPU thermal sensing working o.k.? One advantage of using the Asus slocket is that it supports the on-chip thermal sensor diode.
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

xortam,

I didn't get the optional P2T cable when I got my P2B-L....something to consider now

------------------
                      MatroxG400MAX..and some other stuff

Comment

AFAIK, P2B doesn't support the on-chip temp sensor. The PentiumIIs of that era didn't have on-chip sensors.
                        It's temp sensing is done with an extenal thermistor (the cable Tom mentioned).
                        I build my own cable to handle that, with a $0.49 radio shack thermisor and an old case speaker lead.
                        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Tom:
                          I didn't get the optional P2T cable when I got my P2B-L....something to consider now </font>
                          That's the point. You're not supposed to need one with the Asus slocket. I had to attach a thermistor with my Abit my the Asus supports the on-chip diode so you should be getting CPU temperature readings already.

P.S. Snuck a post in on me Kruzin. I would think the Asus slocket has a wire attached to export the on-chip diode readings to the MB CPU temp connector. I'd have to do some research ... does anybody know for sure?

P.P.S. Maybe not ... says "on supported motherboards" ...
                          ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/s370_card.pdf

[This message has been edited by xortam (edited 09 May 2001).]

Comment

I'm afraid Kruzin is correct xortam!

Comment

Hey Tom, that sounds good to me.

But I have a couple of questions about the working of that card.

Does it set the FSB to 133MHz for the CPU only, or for the memory as well?
                              Does it work without a hitch with PC 100 RAM?
                              And what about voltage settings? I checked it at Asus but wonder where the catch is

Jord.
                              Jordâ„¢

Comment

Working...
                              X