Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2K shutdown woes

I've just installed Win2K on my systems, and I love it

I just have this nagging little problem with shutting down.
    My P3 + BX combo stops at a 'It's now safe to shut of your computer', and my Duron + KT133A stalls at 'Saving your settings'.

Anyone have a solution ?
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

are you sure it stalls? sometimes it just takes ages to shut down on my pc (while most of the time it's very fast). Sometimes it also helps to drag the 'saving your settings'-window with the mouse after a while (don't ask me why)

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by CHHAS:
      I've just installed Win2K on my systems, and I love it
      </font>
      That's nice, one less mazochist in the world (win9x user)!

I just have this nagging little problem with shutting down.
      My P3 + BX combo stops at a 'It's now safe to shut of your computer',
      </font>
      Right-click on My Computer and pick Manage.
      Open Device Manager then double-click on Computer. Which HAL is it using?

If it's Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC, then you should be golden. Well since you aren't, I assume you have Standard PC there.

In that case you have to options. The first is to find a BIOS upgrade for your motherboard, or just enable ACPI if it's available as a BIOS setting. Then reinstall Windows 2000.

If you are willing to live with the Standard PC HAL, then go to Control Panel and Power Options. There should be a checkbox on one of those pages to enable power down on shutdown. Note that this only appears with the Standard PC HAL and is off by default there. (ACPI has it enabled automatically and there's no checkbox for turning it off.)

Multiprocessor (SMP) systems will only power down at shutdown with the ACPI Multiprocessor HAL. There's no checkbox there either if you are stuck with the MPS Multiprocessor HAL.

and my Duron + KT133A stalls at 'Saving your settings'.
      </font>
      That's your personal present from VIA Tech.

Installing their 4-in-1 drivers might help. Or it might make things worse. The various revisions may yield completely different results.

Sorry, I don't have much experience with them. All I know is that I failed to find a solution for a friend of mine's shutdown problem with his VIA motherboard. His one just reboots instead of shutting down.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by fds:
        That's nice, one less mazochist in the world (win9x user)!</font>
        Hey, count me in too! I just loaded W2K AS this weekend and everything's gone smoothly so far. Only have done browsing, mail, and news along with some massive file copies so far. Nice to be working with a real OS again. I've still got Win98 on my second removable boot though. We'll see how all the apps do on W2K but I'll probably still keep the Win98 boot disk around.

P.S. Oops, one gotcha, but it isn't W2K's fault; my Mylex RAID isn't supported under W2K (it is supported as straight SCSI though). I was really looking forward to seeing how command queuing would improve my RAID performance.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Your problem might be with Outlook not shutting down, if you have loaded more than twice in one session. Do the ctrl-alt-del/task manger/ processes and shut down any outlook.exe you might have. This is a problem i've had one or twice with 2000 anyway, apart from that its superdooper .

Comment

I'm using Outlook 2000 here on Win98 - it sucks! It crashes on me every day, and I only use it for email! I'm just too lazy to switch to Eudora or some other mail app so I guess I shouldn't whine

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
            X