Stranger network problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stranger network problem...

Well actually it's just an internet-related problem. Anytime I run ANY program that tries to connect to the internet, it crashes. (except for the exception of mIRC, which gives me some error that it cannot create a socket, all others such as internet explorer, diablo 2, counter-strike... will crash). This happened to my friend 2 days ago also... I have removed a bunch of programs, and no help. Anyone seen this happen before?

UPDATE: I am able to ping addresses and get replies, and I can open Kali and it will list all the Counter-Strike servers and I can ping those also.

I have tried:
    - Virus Scan
    - Re-installing TCP/IP
    - Uninstalling many many internet-applications.
    - Removing almost everything from startup.

------------------
    AMD Athlon K7 750MHz
    Asus K7V Motherboard
    384MB PC-100 SDRAM
    20GB Maxtor 7200RPM Hard Drive
    30GB Maxtor 5400RPM Hard Drive
    ATAPI 40X max Generic CD-ROM
    IDE-CD ReWritable-2x2x6x
    SB Live Value
    Matrox Millenium G400 32MB @ 147/196
    SMC EZ Card 10/100 (SMC1211TX) (Network Card To Cable Modem)
    3Com EtherLink III ISA (3C509b-TPO) (Network Card To Network Bridge)
    Windows 98 SE
    6.20 G400 Drivers

[This message has been edited by TheDarkHorizon (edited 03 May 2001).]
    AMD Athlon K7 750MHz
    Asus K7V Motherboard
    384MB PC-100 SDRAM
    Generic DVD-ROM
    IDE-CD ReWritable-2x2x6x
    SB Live Value
    Matrox Millenium G400 32MB
    Windows ME
    6.20 G400 Drivers

Sounds like a IRQ conflict...

Or else, try to extract :
    vdd.vxd
    vflatd.vxd
    configmg.vxd
    vdmad.vxd
    ntkern.vxd

using "sfc"
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Technoid:
      Sounds like a IRQ conflict...

Or else, try to extract :
      vdd.vxd
      vflatd.vxd
      configmg.vxd
      vdmad.vxd
      ntkern.vxd

using "sfc"
      </font>
      ok, this might sound like a dumb question, but how would i go about doing this?

Comment

Have you tried completely removing the NIC, rebooting and re-installing it with the newest drivers?

Jammrock
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

What exactly is the crash? Was does 'ol Doc Watson say?
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Hi,

Have you asked your ISP about it since it seems to be internet related?

Comment

This doesnt smell like a problem with your ISP to me, basically if you can ping something your ISP is working.
              Are you running any form of personal firewall software, or do you use a cable modem/DSL / Router with firewall software or access lists installed? If these have been corrupted, it could easily prevent access to higher level protocols above the ICMP Ping, giving the symptoms you describe.

I'm not familiar with mIRC clients, but the error message saying it cant open a socket points to a problem with the TCP/IP protocol installed on your PC. Ping uses ICMP which works at a lower level than TCP or HTTP, thus it might work even though higher level protocols fail.

When you re-installed TCP/IP, did you make sure to erase the old files from your PC and reinstall fresh from your install CD?
              Running a RegClean after deinstalling TCP/IP might help too.

Rich
              Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

This is odd, I came to the forums with just this problem, on my brothers computer.

Every time he tries to run any program that accesses the internet, they crash with a page fault.

I'll try getting him to physically remove the card and see if that helps, after a reg clean. TheDarkHorizon, if you manage to lick this problem, drop me a line, I'd really appreciate being able to help the brother out, he's rather snowed in under coursework atm and could do with a quick fix.

Uberlad

------------------
                -------------------------
                8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
                5 out of 10 referred to me by name.
                -------------------------
                8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
                5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

uberlad >> Sorry to say, but I gave up completely on it and decided just to format my computer... Since I was able to still use everything else in Windows properly, I just backed up all my stuff and formatted. My friend still has this problem so I'll be helping him with it. If I find out what was wrong, I'll report back to you.

UPDATE: UBERLAD, MY FRIEND FOUND THE SOLUTION.

Actually, I should slow down a little. He actually didn't ___FIND___ the solution, but whatever he did, worked. He just mass-uninstalled programs left and right that connected to the internet (Such as AOL Instant Messenger, ICQ, mIRC, Napster, iMesh), but I believe it to be iMesh or what of the file sharing services. Hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by TheDarkHorizon (edited 07 May 2001).]
                  AMD Athlon K7 750MHz
                  Asus K7V Motherboard
                  384MB PC-100 SDRAM
                  Generic DVD-ROM
                  IDE-CD ReWritable-2x2x6x
                  SB Live Value
                  Windows ME
                  6.20 G400 Drivers

Comment

Well when you update your post it doesn't go up to the top so...

*bump*
                    AMD Athlon K7 750MHz
                    Asus K7V Motherboard
                    384MB PC-100 SDRAM
                    Generic DVD-ROM
                    IDE-CD ReWritable-2x2x6x
                    SB Live Value
                    Windows ME
                    6.20 G400 Drivers

Comment

Doesn't seem like this will be of any help now, but I worked on a guys computer and it was doing the exact same thing you described. Turned out to be a download/web accelerator program that was running constantly in the background, I removed that and everything ran fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X