Anyone using a trackball ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using a trackball ?

I've just bought a Microsoft Trackball Explorer. It seems like a very good device, I just wonder how long it'll take me to get used to it ?

Right now I'm having a lot of trouble aiming in UT, so I've confined myself to practice sessions until my aim improves. I wouldn't want to get multikilled online

I've got a week to decide if I want to return it, so I'll definetely give it a go.
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

I've been using a Logitech Trackman marble FX for a few years now. It may not be the best for FPS games but I like it.

Paul
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I have had a Logitech Trackman Marble FX for couple of years too.

Had a Kensington Trackball prior to that but their software didn't get along with something in my system and would cause me grief about 30% of the time.

They do take a bit to get use to though. I get less fatigued when using it compared to a regular mouse. Since I rarely do games, the Trackball is not an issue for me.

MSI K7D Master L, Water Cooled, All SCSI
      Modded XP2000's @ 1800 (12.5 x 144 FSB)
      512MB regular Crucial PC2100
      Matrox P
      X15 36-LP Cheetahs In RAID 0
      LianLiPC70

Comment

Isn't the Marble thumbcontrolled ?
        The Trackball Explorer is index finger controlled, which I find much better than the thumbcontrolled devices.
        As for gaming, my guess is that a trackball can be just as good as a mouse, with practice, of course

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

The original marble is Thumb-Controlled.

The Marble F/X is finger/thumb controlled (your choice).

I use my fingers for the F/X.

Works very well, with a high level of accuracy (even in UT)

Right Paul?

Guyver
          Gaming Rig.

- Gigabyte GA-7N400-Pro
          - AMD Athlon 3200+ XP
          - 1.5GB Dual Channel DDR 433Mhz SDRAM
          - 6.1 Digital Audio
          - Gigabit Lan (Linksys 1032)
          - 4 x 120GB SATA Drives, RAID 0+1 (Striped/Mirrored)
          - Sony DRU-500A DVD/+/-/R/RW
          - Creative 8x DVD-ROM
          - LS120 IDE Floppy
          - Zip 100 IDE
          - PNY Ultra 5900 (256MB)
          - NEC FE950
          - DTT2500 Cambridge Soundworks

Comment

I never could understand why people use mice for FPS games. You have to worry about it going off the mousepad, or the ball getting dirty(which is a non-issue now) and I feel like I'm try to rev up one of those toys where you would push it forward several times really fast to get it going...VROOMMM, VROOOM!!
            I have used a trackball since day 1. I would highly recommend it for FPS games. Personally, I think the thumb trackball is crazy for FPS games as well. When you first start, you have very little control and your thumb cramps up. Here is the one I use. Superior control in FPS.

http://www.logitech.com/cf/products/...view.cfm/93?46

Dave

------------------
            What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about?
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I have the MS Trackball Optical and have been using a Trackball (Thumb Style) since an old two button thumb ball logitech my dad got at work and didn't like (So he brought it home for me).

After getting used to the fine control needed to use it for FPS I can now say that I wouldn't use a mouse if it meant having to use just the keyboard... I watch other people messing with their mice during lan games and I just have to laugh... especially when they think it odd that I use a trackball...

Trackball's Rule!!!

EDIT Put down the wrong trackball version /EDIT

------------------
              Canadian... Hell Ya!!!

[This message has been edited by cbman (edited 03 May 2001).]
              AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
              AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
              Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
              Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Helevitia:
                ... I feel like I'm try to rev up one of those toys where you would push it forward several times really fast to get it going...VROOMMM, VROOOM!! ...
                Dave

</font>
                ROFLMAO

Comment

Greebe didn't give me the nickname "Spinner " for nothing....LOL
                  Took awhile to get used to using it for UT and Quake II and III.

For graphics the FX version gives you so much more control when you can use several fingers. The old thumb control marble would get too shaky.

Paul
                  "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I use a Kensington Expert mouse 5, took me about a week to get used to. Main argument for me to use this model, is that I use it with my left hand, and this model is completely symmetrical (4 buttons). I was so pleased with it, I replaced the mouse on my office by the same model trackball.

I didn't have any problems with their software (although their latest driver can cause an SMP-machine to freeze). I am searching though to get the 4 buttons to work under X-Windows (it should be possible). The trackball itself can work with regular Logitech/Microsoft drivers (with just 2 buttons, but this is very interesting during installation of an OS).

Jörg

PS1: It is a quite expensive thing though...
                    PS2: www.kensington.com
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I used to use a trackball on a Mac, mainly because it you could lock the menu dropdown without having to continuously hold the button. Windows didn't require this so I went with a mouse. I've been using a Logitech MouseMan Wheel (non-optical) for the last two years but I feel the arch places too much pressure on the palm of my hand. I was starting to consider the Logitech Cordless MouseMan® Optical and if felt pretty good at the store. I see they also make a Cordless TrackMan® FX but I haven't tried it yet. Anyone have opinions on these cordless devices? Do they loose anything in responsiveness in FPS games due to using RF?
                      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I'm somewhat of a Trackball addict.

I have a couple of TrackMan Marbles, a M/S Trackball Optical, and a Trackball Explorer. The Explorer has been a big switch, but for CAD and graphics work, it does very well.

The thumb-operated trackballs are best (for me, at least) used regular day to day work and I have had no problems with them in FPS games at all.

I like the Microsoft trackballs the best, the large diameter balls are easier to do precision work with.

Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

That's what she said, eh......

Paul

Comment

Well, I previously owned (actually, still have, it's sitting about 5 feet away from me right now) a Logitech Cordless Mouseman Wheel (non-optical). It was actually quite nice, the cordless freedom is really great.

There were a couple problems in gaming. Of course, when I tried to use it at extreme range (10ft or so), it became jumpy and unresponsive. I think that was actually pretty good, since Logitech claims a 6ft range, and it was still working up to about 10ft. However, this problem is the one that made me replace it. If you play CS, you know that you have to click repeatedly to fire the pistols (as they are semi-automatic). Problem is, with this mouse, whenever I did that, movement was jumpy as hell and my bullets went all over the place. I don't think there are any guns like this in UT, but CS was my main game, and it was really killing me.

I now own a Logitech Mouseman Wheel Optical. It's not too different from the Cordless, but it's slightly smaller and doesn't have the two problems I mentioned above. I miss the cordless though, it was cool to be able to use the mouse anywhere, and not just on my desk.

Comment

Thanks LS ... so if I understand, you're saying that the cordless was jumpy even w/i a few feet for rapid clicking?!
                              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Working...
                              X